Saturday, June 19, 2010

Treadmill Desk

[Thanks to Joe Dick]

A combined treadmill and computer desk?? This looks like a joke at first, but on closer examination I'm getting kinda interested. I wonder if I have the space for one in my small office.


... I'm also wondering if I would actually like to walk or stand all the time I'm at my computer. I am rather lazy.

There's some talk on the page about cobbling on together yourself from parts, but the pretty one pictured above (called WalkStation) is from a company named Steelcase. It's not exactly cheap, four grand! Ouch.  Plus shipping that thing to the UK in my case.

They do actually make a combo walk-sit station. But it's just a wider desk with space for a chair next to the strip. And it's a full grand more. 

5 comments:

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

I think an exercise bike would seem a lot more adequate, no? You're exercising, AND you're sitting! making you far more stable for using your hands on that computer.

Does it at least power the computer from all the energy you deploy? :-)

Timo Lehtinen said...

They do actually make a combo walk-sit station.

Why not have two stations: one for sitting, one for walking?

After all, don't you already have a lying down one?

If I had the space and money, I'd definitely get this, and also the Alien Recaro station your featured here some time ago.

When one spends anywhere from 8 to 16 hours/day working on the computer year after year, almost any expense in improving one's working ergonomics is insignificant in comparison.

Ray said...

I couldn't use this - no coffee-cup holder!

Joe said...

Now you can start training for that marathon. While in the comfort of your own home;-)
Joe

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Isn't that trademarked under the name "Wii Marathon"? :-D