Thursday, June 17, 2010

Reading over Lunch

Well, I'm not the one who got used to reading on the Pad in a hurry. Andy Ihnatko tweet:
"Trying to read a hardcover book while eating lunch. I feel like I'm traveling from Boston to LA in the Wright Flier."

Hardcovers have always been particularly problematic to keep open if you don't have both hands free for the job. An iPad on a stand is really the way to go. Any font and text size you like, and any mayonnaise smutches can be wiped off easily, unlike on a $25 hardcover's pages.
Not to mention instant access to dictionary and Wikipedia and SEs, if you're connected.

Update: Talking about the intrepid Mr. Ihnatko, in this review of the HCT Incredible phone he confirms my feelings that an iPhone sized-display is just a bit too small:
But the Incredible expands its physical dimension from 3.7” (diagonal) to 4.3”. This seemingly small change redefines the device.
“Bigger than an iPhone but way smaller than a tablet” turns out to be a fantastic size for a mobile. When you make the screen just a little larger, the phone becomes a much better book reader, a much better movie player (particularly when you deploy the EVO’s built-in kickstand), and a much better web browser.
-

2 comments:

TC said...

I've no problems reading on my Nexus One, and had no problem reading on the 2½" screen of my previous phone.

I've read about the last ten novels that I've read that way...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I know many people do that, and I think it's quite wonderful.

I just get upset when I try myself.