Thursday, July 29, 2010

One million??

The Kindle post below kept growing and growing. But I think this deserves a post of its own. From Amazon UK's Kindle page:
"A new store designed for the UK is coming on August 27. With the biggest selection of any e-bookstore in the UK, you can shop more than 400,000 books, including bestsellers and new releases. UK and international newspapers, magazines, and blogs, plus more than 1 million free books, will also be available."

One million free books?!! Wow, that is very brave of them. They can't be making much money on the hardware, they have to pay the mobile companies for each connection, and now people can read one million free books before they have to start paying for them? Phew. It may well pay off, but... very brave business tactic.

7 comments:

ganesha games said...

I have bought a free amazon ebook on the ipad and they had me pay for delivery, so I don't think they are losing money on that. It just made me angry as that was not clearly stated before I committed to buy (or I didn't check because I assumed tht free meant free). Anyway, I now use feedbooks for my free non-copyrighted ebooks.

ganesha games said...

oh now I get it-- maybe I paid because I bought it on the ipad. Their ebooks include free wireless delivery if you read them on the kindle itself.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Interesting, I will test this.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

How much was the charge?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I just "bought" Pride and Prejudice. Bill:


Total before Tax: $ 0.00
Sales Tax: $ 0.00
-----------

Total for this Order: $ 0.00

.............................................................

Pride and Prejudice [Kindle Edition], Price: $ 0.00
Sold By: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Now I went to my iPad and bought:

The Picture of Dorian Gray [Kindle Edition], Price: $ 0.00

No delivery charge. So I don't know what you got there.

ganesha games said...

weird, I bought a $0 book on Kindle for ipad, I got something like a $0,39 charge for delivery. Maybe they refunded me afterwards? I'll see if I still have the receipt