Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Apple design progression



I've actually wondered about that: will Apple now stick with the current glass and aluminium designs or what? If not, where will they go? There seems no further direct extension of the logic. (The logic being going towards simpler and simpler designs, in more and more classy materials.)

I can't actually really believe it they can make themselves do it, but if it were me, I'd go the other way, and actually put a bit of decoration on the machines again. Just a few simple curves, a couple of subtly different colors, that sort of thing. It would be a breath of fresh air after all this hardcore minimalism in the past five years.

8 comments:

ttl said...

Just a few simple curves, a couple of subtly different colors, that sort of thing.

How about if we worried a little less about what material the computer's housing is made of, and instead made the computer to work? It is called Automatic Data Processing for a reason. The computer was supposed to perform tasks autonomously; it was supposed to think!

We spent the last 30 years making computers cheap and beautiful. Now would be a good time to go back where we left off in the 1980s and make them work.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Sounds great, go do that.

ttl said...

My posting comments such as the above is doing that.

The best that can be done at the moment is to remind the world about how far from the ideal (and our original goal) we have drifted. And to make people realize that for three decades there has been hardly any progress in computability.

The interesting question is why? Maybe this is a big conspiracy to control the masses. To get people sit in front of a box, isolated, without getting anything done, and without any risk of gathering into groups.

Surely a computer that actually did something would be dangerous in the hands of a citizen.

Someone with a knack for sci-fi writing might get something out of this...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

We might need that, because I surely have no clue what it is computers were supposed to be doing for us now that they ain't.

Monsieur Beep! said...

...*gives his intelligent iPod touch a kiss*
- my reliable companion, connecting me with friends I'd otherwise not have.

ttl said...

I surely have no clue what it is computers were supposed to be doing for us now that they ain't.

Reason.

Mike said...

Thanks for that, it reminded me to dig out my eMate and check everything is still working...!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

That was a very promising little machine. I actually bought one used once, unfortunately it had a fault, so I had to return it.

It's so sad that there has been so few simple, small machines with good keyboards.