Thursday, April 08, 2010

keyboard tip

I had already been told by Tonya Engst that one of the tips with ebooks and in general with touchscreen interfaces is that many features may pop up if you hold your finger on a spot for a second or two.

Uknewalready forwarded this:

Tip of the Week: Special Characters on iPhone OS (including iPad) By Sebastian Massey

While it’s true that the interface for the iPad is amazingly intuitive, its simplicity can sometimes hide a number of important advanced features. One such feature I recently discovered is the ability to type accent marks with the on-screen keyboard. This feature is part of the keyboard, not a particular app, so it can be used with Mail, Notes or even Pages.

To type a letter with an accent, simply hold your finger down on the letter for a second or two, and a number of options will appear. While still holding down your finger, just slide to the accented letter you want and release. It’s that simple to type è, ñ, or even ü. Try holding down other buttons on the keyboard and see what happens. As another example, try holding down the “.com” button in the safari keyboard. It will give you options for other suffixes like “.org” or “.edu.”

These options are incredibly useful and I honestly had no idea they were there until someone who needed them asked me how to get accents. I wonder what other hidden powers I can find in the iPad and iPhone OS.
-

1 comment:

Cristina Rodguez said...

I got an iPod Touch and I learnt you can do that, and other stuff (like screen captures). Search for any iPod Touch fans websites and take a look. I guess all those tricks are good for the iPad.