Friday, June 11, 2010

Mail.app correction

Small note: after I got rid of the dang RocketBox plug-in, search in Apple Mail turns out to not be bad. Actually in some ways easier than in Eudora. I only thought it wasn't because doing things the way I was used to (for example hitting command-F) created unfamiliar and confusing results. (And even this was more caused by myself, because I'd switched around the "Find" (in one email) command and the "Search" command (in many mails) in Eudora. Since I use Find almost never and Search all the time, I'd changed Search to be command-F. Originally it was like it is in Mail.)

I just select (command-select for more than one) the mail boxes I want to search, and write a couple of words in the Search field (or hit command-option-F). And unlike in Eudora, this is not a "search string", all the characters don't have to be in the exact order that they were in the email for it to show up. So unlike what I thought at first, you can indeed search for more than one words which are not in sequence.

I guess I had my head full of outdated articles which proclaimed how much more advanced Search was in Eudora than all the others. "Act on fresh data" is not a bad motto.

1 comment:

munds said...

Maybe if you come back to RocketBox when you have a bit more experience with the simpler stuff then you will appreciate its power. Full tilt boogie searching in an industrial strength database using regular expressions has to be experienced to be believed, but it's not for newbies or the faint hearted. Good luck.