Wednesday, July 07, 2010

iOS oddities

Here's an oddity I've noticed on both the iPad and the iPhone: I plug in the device, iTunes pops up and does its stuff, and then reports that the device is now updated and synced. But a new app I bought has not appeared on the device. So I sync manually via the File menu, and now the app does appear on the device after sync. The last time I did (on the iPhone, two minutes ago), it was quite many items which did not cross over until I did it manually. I think this is quite odd behavior. I'd think a sync is a sync is a sync, but it seems not.


Another thing, when texting on the iPhone, how do you get around the flippin auto-word correction!? I can't get the flippin device to accept the word "hmmm", it writes all kinds of things instead.
(I'd be thankful to know 1: how to turn it off altogether and 2: how to override it manually in particular instances.)

Update: Anonymous said:
RTFM, numbskull!!!!!
SHEESH!

eolake said...
It doesn't *come* with an effin' manual, blockhead.

OK, so I'll do my own research, jeezz, just trying to communicate here...

... It turns out that until quite recently, you actually had to jailbreak the phone (voiding the warrenty) to do this. But after a recent update, it can be done under Settings/General/Keyboard.
Although I still haven't found a way to override it in individual circumstances.

KC Aussie said...
When you are typing something and it offers a correction (a little bubble above or below the word you are typing, text is blue), you can press the "x" in the in the bubble to dismiss the bubble and the correction offered.
What I have found is that over time it seems to learn words or abbreviations. For example, in notes to myself I often write the first three letters of the day of the week (Mon, Tue, Wed, etc) and it would always change the "Wed" to We'd" ... what I found is that if I dismissed the offered correction eventually it was no long offered.
I'm not sure how many times you have to dismiss a correction before your preferred spelling becomes added to the dictionary iOS uses.

Thanks, friend.

By the way, why isn't there an effin manual? When I buy a camera, it comes with a manual. At the very least a PDF one. You would think that a company like Apple puts so much care and pride into creating an awesome product like the iPhone, they would want people to be able to figure out all the hundreds of features it has.
And surely the features are documented somewhere, otherwise they couldn't even build the phone. So why don't they hire somebody to convert that document into a public-friendly manual which would make their customers that much more happy? It's not like they can't pay, they have like $20B in the bank.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

'(I'd be thankful to know 1: how to turn it off altogether and 2: how to override it manually in particular instances.)'

RTFM, numbskull!!!!!
SHEESH!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It doesn't *come* with a manual, blockhead.

OK, so I'll do my own research, jeezz, just trying to communicate here...

KC Aussie said...

When you are typing something and it offers a correction (a little bubble above or below the word you are typing, text is blue), you can press the "x" in the in the bubble to dismiss the bubble and the correction offered.

What I have found is that over time it seems to learn words or abbreviations. For example, in notes to myself I often write the first three letters of the day of the week (Mon, Tue, Wed, etc) and it would always change the "Wed" to We'd" ... what I found is that if I dismissed the offered correction eventually it was no long offered.

I'm not sure how many times you have to dismiss a correction before your preferred spelling becomes added to the dictionary iOS uses.

Hope this helps!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, very helpful, thank you.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It seems once or twice is enough to teach it.

Also, the auto-correction is apparently not system-wide, it does not present itself in My Writing Nook writing app, for example.

I should have figured this out, but I *very, very* rarely text, I never saw the attraction. And whenever such a "helpful feature" is shoved in my face, I just get angry at once, instead of cooly figuring out how to best it.

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"...jeezz, just trying to communicate here..."

I'm glad that you are! I have yet to get one and I bet I'm not the only one!

Unlike Anon's "help." NOT! Just RUDE! :-(

"And whenever such a "helpful feature" is shoved in my face, I just get angry at once, instead of cooly figuring out how to best it."

I "get" it, Eo; like some of the stupid quirks...w/Apple's fricken iTunes!!!!!!! No patience, have I, for that nonsense! :-/

Unknown said...

If you look in Safari web browser, the user guide is in one of the bookmarks. They should really let you know that it's there, took me ages to find it myself!!

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

RTFM? SHEESH? Like, WTF?
Dang, where's Masked Acronymist The Terrible when you need a professional translator?

So hard to communicate when a common language application has not been agreed on. How hard CAN it be to sync a universal OS??? :-P

TC, what does R.U.D.E. stand for?

F.A.R.T. (Flaming Anonymous Resident Troll) said...

You'll be told what R.U.D.E. stands for after *someone* (you included!) actually *understands* what "P-04referent" stands for, U smart-S!

Anonymous said...

No Manual? Do what you apparently did with the iPad, and spend money on TMM @O'Reilly?
Or the ubiquitous Google.
Asking dumb questions DOES raise hackles. Its like the idiots asking really mundane stuff on Wiki Answers, where they could have found the answer themselves just by typing the question into Google instead.
Smacks a little of a petulent child wanting someone else to do his homework!

TC [GIRL}
HOW many times ARE you going to suck up to Eolake / kiss his ass?
I'm certain I'm not the only one to notice your 'affection'!
ROFLMAO LOL etc etc etc

M.A.T.T. (Masked Acronymist The Terrible) said...

Somebody called? (TA-DAAH!)

RTFM : Research To Find More
(Not being very helpful there, Anon.)

SHEESH : Says He Expects Everything Simply Handed.
(Not everybody was born with a silver spoon like you, Daddy's boy. Eo is an SMM: a Self-Made Man, YKWIM? He's also an ace JOAT-MOM, and a noble gentlemanly RM.)

RUDE : Ridiculous, Unkempt, Devoid of Education

P-04referent: sorry, FART BABY (Behave Around the Blog, Yo!). That RAM data is classified. FYI, even the NSA doesn't have OK clearance to ID its meaning.

"You can just call me... Ivan."

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

You probably know, but it's one of the oldest Net acronyms: RTFM: Read The F***ing Manual.

KC Aussie said...

Out of curiosity I checked Apple's Support page and lo and behold there are user manuals for both the iPhone 4 and iOS 4. Who knew? :) ... I didn't!

http://support.apple.com/manuals/iphone/

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Make manuals, but keep them secret! What a brilliant strategy!

(Looking over the iPhone one, it seems a bit thin though, more like "introduction-ware", to coin a term.)

M.A.T.T. (Masked Acronymist The Terrible) said...

Uh... of course I knew that, what do you think? After all, I AM a professional!
(I hope they bought it and nobody asks to see my credentials...)

The ACTUAL official acronym for "research to find more" is:
Go Online Observing General Link Estimations, Intelligently Tracking.
It's the code for an experimental military search engine that recently caused some diplomatic frictions with China.

"You can just call me... Ivan."

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Actually, acronym-sandwiched Anon (heeeey, KINKY!), I know from reliable source (several beautiful ladies whom I, erm, "happened to meet" in Copenhagen) that Eolake isn't very fond of smoochies on his tushie. So I'm ready to bet your "unsubstanciated claims" on Miss TC are equally made-up. Show us an unauthorized sex tape to back your allegations "or forever be silent, amen".

Mr Stobblehouse is usually too busy f***ing manuals, anyway! "ROFLMAO LOL etc etc etc"

Gee, Josie, people with a sense of humor and an outspoken merry character really seem to tick you off, don't they? [Was I even your FIRST time, hot-cheeks? (sniff!) I'm not so sure anymore.]
:`(