Friday, January 01, 2010

Long flash

It just occured to me to test the "night eyes" of my flash and camera. And lookit this! It illuminated the whole damn yard! The building is only illuminated from my camera. That's ridic.


Canon 5D II at 3200 ISO, Canon lens 35mm F:1.4, and Canon 580EX II flash.

It would be cool to photograph the nightlife in town like this. Buuuut... with the "beer-bin brainiacs" who pass for young men around here, it would be a quite risky proposition. Even if I were to bring a couple of strong friends, we may run into five or seven drunk skinheads who, already looking for a brawl, decide we are pervs wanting a good lesson.
But really, this is beginning to inspire me... it could be an alternative kind of night photography, even of still objects.

----
Cool coincidence: NeutralDay is also getting into flashing (as it were) right now.
----
Talking about gear: Whenever you buy it, or software, there's a registration form to fill out and send. Has anybody ever observed any practical effect of this, other than you get put on another mailing list?

11 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

That is AMAZING, Eo! VERY COOL!! Should be a lot of fun taking night pics...of something!! :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yeah, like ships and airplanes!
I had no idea it could reach this far. (Of course it's also a very sensitive ("fast") lens and camera.

Michael Burton said...

Your neighbors are convinced there was a nuclear explosion somewhere nearby, and are just waiting for the shockwave and the fireball.

Patrick said...

Damn, you lit a subdivision, and I was trying to figure out how to light my living room.

Pretty cool what a relatively little flash can do

Anonymous said...

I see you are exploring the two basic fundamentals of photography, time and light. An eye opener isn't it.

The general term I think is "light painting". The most outrageous of which I have seen is when some guys (why is it always guys that try this) decided to light paint the side of a mountain. Tried to find a link to it, but failed. Google "light painting photography".

Given a dark night, decent subject and enough time and some light in the right spots, strange and wonderful images can be made.

Use a bright hand held flashlight (torch), a sturdy tripod mounted camera set for long exposure (1 min+) and have some fun with it. When you are feeling funky, add some colored gels.

TC [Girl] said...

I've been "dreaming" of capturing a large field lit by moonlight, for the past 6 years! STILL gotta figure out how to do that one! :-(

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"Yeah, like ships and airplanes!"

Don't get me started on "ships and airplanes"!! lol! Seriously, though...a night picture of a boat with sails out would be YUMMY!! :-P

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

a large field lit by moonlight would be tricky, that's barely illuminated at all.
And the question is if it would even look different than in sunlight. (Except there will be zero detail in shadows, due to no sky-light to light them.)

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Damn right, youse flashers are pervs lookin' fer a good beatin'!

My Captcha: "prout". In French, that's a light-hearted synonym for "fart"!

(Speaking of which, where's old Josie at these days? ;-)

"I've been "dreaming" of capturing a large field lit by moonlight, for the past 6 years! STILL gotta figure out how to do that one"
My suggestion: LONG exposure.
(I mean your camera setting, of course! Don't go and catch cold now.)

Anonymous said...

Even if I were to bring a couple of strong friends, we may run into five or seven drunk skinheads who, already looking for a brawl, decide we are pervs wanting a good lesson.

Maybe you should move? I wouldn't want to live in a place where I was afraid to walk the streets.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Well, I'm exaggerating a little bit. I've not met any obviously violent people.

I *have* been warned against going out alone on a Saturday night, but I'm not liable to anyway.