Monday, December 28, 2009

William Gibson on audio

Yes! The old William Gibson SF books are finally out as audiobooks on iTunes! I've been waiting for this.
Strangely, the first one, Neuromancer, seems to be only there in German, but the old favorites Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are there, as well as the short story collection Burning Chrome.
(By the way, I'm surprised that Neuromancer and Mona Lisa still have the same covers they had when I bought them twenty years ago, whazzup widdat?)

5 comments:

BlankPhotog said...

I've had Virtual Light on audiobook (cassette tape) for at least 10 years, read by Peter Weller. Haven't downloaded any audiobooks yet but it seems like a great idea!

dave nielsen said...

I prefer audio books as I can do other things. Got the idea from Stephen Fry, who shed the (significant amount of) weight he'd put on by walking, making the walking bearable by listening to audio books on his ipod. I thought that I would try that, and it works. You eat of the miles without even realizing it.

dave nielsen said...

Oh, and I'll definitely be downloading those Gibson books, as I've been a huge fan almost since the beginning. I'm not quite old enough to have read Neuromancer when it first came out, but I discovered it about '92 I think.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, iPods/audiobooks are wonderful for walking. (And also for resting body and eyes when reading.)

BlankPhotog, is there an easy way you could record the tapes to computer for me? (I've done it myself by plugging a walkman into my Mac via its headphone plug, and using Audio Hijack to record from "line in" while it was playing.)

BlankPhotog said...

I don't have a working tape player but I'll see if I can wrangle one up!