Monday, December 28, 2009

Twin Lens Reflex

Seeing a Twin Lens Reflex camera in the film Snow Angels made me realize that it's one thing I'm missing from my camera "collection". And they are quite beautiful, hefty machines, I think.
A search on eBay, though, show that these cameras fetch quite high prices. And since I don't use film anymore and I'm not a real collector (I just like the objects), I don't want to pay hundreds of GBP for one. And since I don't demand that it's working, I'd think I could find one at a reasonable price, but so far no luck... :-)
Some of the few I found at low prices are these. And just look at these old fellas! Man, they must be fifty years of they're a day, and not high-end either.



What I really want is something looking like this, but clearly that'll cost me a mint:



Oh, here's a wonderful little oddity:

A 35mm SLR camera, but shaped like a Hasselblad! Odd, but sort of beautiful, and as I recall, very advanced technically.

9 comments:

Jan said...

My mom still uses one of those Rolleiflexes. She never saw a reason to upgrade. :-)

I hope you find a nice one.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Good for her!
It's a blessing to have a tool which works well for one.
David Pogue told about a woman who ran her home business solely on a text editor... not even Word, just a text editor!

TC [Girl] said...

That second one from the bottom is BEAUTIFUL! :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I know, that's the one I was looking for.
(Or maybe a Mamiya pro twin-lens, they are also solid.)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

... Of course it's also beautifully photographed, which always helps.

TC [Girl] said...

True...but it also looks to be in mint condition!! Even a shitty pic of it wouldn't look bad! lol! ;-)

Ian said...

Another 35mm oddity I saw once was a 35 twin lens reflex. Just like the 120 models with the stacked lenses and all. The film chamber was a removable back that you loaded off-camera. I think it was a Rollie. Wish I could get one like that.

emptyspaces said...

I bought a working, cosmetically fine Super Ricohflex TLR earlier this year for USD $35. It's not nearly as nice a camera as the Rollei models, but it sure does the trick. I've shot a roll here and there and had a blast with it, well worth the purchase price. I made these two with it recently.

Medium format is really cool, and I especially love 6x6 cm negatives. Hard to scan, though.

You might want to take a look at Collectible Cameras — they're in the States, but maybe you'd find a bargain anyway.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, ES.

Ian, yes, I think I vaguely recall seeing a 35 twin lens reflex once. Not sure though.