Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Warnock Pro (updated)

Update: OK, here is a bizarre thing. I have never heard of this font until today, and I have not bought it, and so far as I know I have not even downloaded it. But after writing this post, I open my wordprocessor to write a letter (I usually just use a text editor because I usually write for the Internet), and there, selected, is Warnock Pro! I look in OS X's Fontbook, and there is the font, in all its variations. What the hell?
(It seems it's a working copy, I can print and so on.)


Can this have been installed by that PDF file/article about the font, which I've read today? How would that be a working copy? Isn't such a font just a part of the PDF file?
... No, more likely this file, from the adobe store. But that's also just a PDF document, although it seems to contain the whole font. (And hokey sheet, that's a big font, it seems to have everything, even some greek and cyrillic characters.)

ttl said...
My guess is that it comes bundled with some Adobe software package you have installed in your system. Possibly Creative Suite 4.

My goodness, you're probably right. I never thought of that. I did cave and upgrade from CS 2 to 4 (because otherwise I'd have to pay for PS CS4 in full), despite seldom using most of the apps. It would make sense they have some good pro fonts bundled with it, it would be a draw for many customers.

I'd forgotten I have the full CS4. But it's good to have, for instance I know Brooks Jensen uses InDesign to combine text and photos for art prints.


[original post below]
Below is a screenshot of an Adobe type, the new Warnock Pro, which I look at because I am impressed at its legibility even set in small size in a new book I'm reading.

The screenshot is from from the basic Apple app Preview, zoomed in on ordinary bread text (small type like in a book or article) in an PDF file article about the font. I'm amazed I could zoom so far in that individual letters are over 1000 pixels high!

------
A note on web usability: I wanted to see the price of this font from Adobe, as a matter of curiosity, because the price of fonts vary from the ridiculous to the sublime. So I googled it like this. The top link is obviously the one you want. But when you click on it, you do not get the page quoted. Instead I got:
1: a page to select from where in the world I wanted to give Adobe money.
2: after that, again not the right page, but just the general font store.
3: when I made a search for warnock pro (lower case), no results! (Holy cow.)
4: when I searched on warnock, I got a longish list of Warnock Pro varieties.
5: when I clicked on the first on of those, I got a huge PDF file showing the whole of the font. But no web page, and still no price! Also no link indicating how or where I could find a price, or buy the font. Major failure of a web store.

So I gave up, went back to the Google page, clicked on cached page, and found the pricing I was looking for ($35 for one width/variety, $199 for the whole set). I wonder how Adobe sells anything.

12 comments:

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

Very nice font.

John Collins said...

I think that the market is directed at typographers and not a user that has one application in mind. The prices that you quote are not at all outrageous.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

No, I did not mean to imply that. In fact I think the prices are quite reasonable. Even for my one-man company, I could see myself paying it if I needed it. In fact I had suspected something higher.

For a top-professional font covering everything, there is a *lot* of work involved developing it.

Ray said...

"when I clicked on the first on of those, I got a huge PDF file showing the whole of the font"

Maybe you should have hit 'copy' and then dumped it into your fonts folder.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It was not the font itself, it was just examples of how it looked in its myriad variations, a document for printout.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Or maybe I'm wrong! I suddenly have the font on my system, see update to the post!

Timo Lehtinen said...

My guess is that it comes bundled with some Adobe software package you have installed in your system. Possibly Creative Suite 4.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

My goodness, you're probably right. I never thought of that. I did cave and upgrade from CS 2 to 4, despite seldom using most of the apps. It would make sense they have some good pro fonts bundled with it, it would be a draw for many customers.

Timo Lehtinen said...

I'd forgotten I have the full CS4. But it's good to have, for instance I know Brooks Jensen uses InDesign to combine text and photos for art prints.

Yes, but very costly, especially if you are not a pro and only need it every once in a while.

Myself, I am mad at Adobe. I have Photoshop 7, which I would be perfectly satisfied with except that it stopped working on Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard". The upgrade is too expensive for me so I went with the very reasonably priced Pixelmator.

Now, Pixelmator is a really cool app. But being so new, it so far only has a subset of the features Photoshop has accumulated over the years. And some of those features I'd really need. It is not the Pixelmator team's fault, of course --- they are clearly doing everything they can to catch up. But it has left me in an incapacitated state with regards to tools for pixel-pushing.

Oh well, maybe it's time to concentrate on text instead of graphics then. ;-)

Alex said...

A font I've alwas liked is Albertus, but I never new the name untill a couple of days ago, and found that I had it burried away somewhere (I think at work).


The only font I want to buy, and I can't find it anywhere, is Hell's Programmer. That was one of the least ambiguest fonts I ever saw. At a glance you can tell a 1 from l and 0 from O even at 8pt. I used to have it on a Mac years ago, and I can't find my floppy with it on. Every time I google it I only find others lamenting its demise.

tom collins said...

Myself, I am mad at Adobe. I have Photoshop 7, which I would be perfectly satisfied with except that it stopped working on Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard".

This is what you get for going with a Mac, erroneously thought of by the pretentious as being for "creative people."

Timo Lehtinen said...

This is what you get for going with a Mac, erroneously thought of by the pretentious as being for "creative people."

I agree 100%. Not only did Apple single handedly stall all progress in user interfaces for 30 years by pushing the WIMP interface in 1984, but since then they have also thrown away the age old idea of upward compatibility is OS abis. How badly can one company screw up?

However, irrespective of the design flaws in Mac OS X, it would be trivial for Adobe to issue a patch to allow Photoshop 7 to continue to run on Leopard. Their not doing this is a deliberate choice of not wanting to protect the investment of their customers so we would buy Photoshop again at full price!

I quite like Photoshop, but I can not afford to buy it many times over. It seems Adobe has become the new Microsoft. I hear many people are switching away from Adobe products for this reason.