Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Text on pictures

I've long been interested in mixing text and pictures, as potentially a means of heightening the measure of aesthetics and information in combination.
Simple comics is an example, but I suspect we have only scratched the surface of this field.
One problem is that it's very hard to combine the two so they don't clash. Almost any casual application of text on a picture is to the picture's aesthetic detriment. (At least in my opinion... it seems magazine layout-artists disagree.)
It helps if the text is only near the picture. But this also lessens the impact and the co-power.
----
Anyway, that's a huge field, but a simple little example of what I think is successful application which I had not foreseen, is Brooks Jensen's application of desktop publishing software to put titles on his fine art prints. I just now took this quick photo of my copy of his October Seas collection ("folio"). What do you think? Does it enhance the pictures, or the opposite?


They are pretty small prints, by the way, merely letter-sized, not even A4.

3 comments:

RCMEDIA said...

Yes, text incorporated with a photographic image can be very effective and actually bind the visuals together.

The text should not be too long and involved - like a 3 second read of a billboard, if should only be a 1-2-3 word impression.

That's how advertising works - short bumps to the mind, many repetitions.

Bill said...

I like text with images if done correctly. I can't tell what is correct, but I know it when I see it.

The very smart thing Brooks Jensen does is place the text where it can be hidden if the print is framed.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, good points both, thanks guys.