Monday, October 19, 2009

Apples and the nineties

My friend Laurie talked about a very picturesque trip they took this week. One of the things she mentioned was an apple tree without leaves but with apples.
Back in the nineties, living outside Copenhagen (a pretty place called Lyngby), I lived next to an apple tree, and one autumn it did just that.
It was so striking. I wish I could go back in time and photograph it properly with the great cameras we have now. All I have is this one picture taken with one of the crappy early digicams, a Nikon Coolpix 600. (See how the highlights are so blown that it looks like snow. And this was *after* I had the camera fixed, it was much worse when first I got it.) It was a "one megapixel" camera which actually only had 786,000 pixels, and even those were not all that good. But we were all impressed with it back then. I bought it for about $600, and the price had just dropped from about $1100!
The picture below was used in print by the photo store where I bought the camera, to impress people with the camera. It barely held up in a 6x8 inch print, and yet at the time it seemed dang good.



Here I am in November 1998. Gawd how young I looked. And yet already that long ago I was already making my living on the Interweb. Barely.



Me and aforementioned apple tree.
(These are the full resolution pictures!)


My workspace in the late nineties. What I use now is still only about thrice the size. The Interweb is not so demanding on physical space!
(The dictionaries on the left have now been replaced by virtual ones. Faster to look up.)


I was actually living in that single room, rented. Until 1999, in my mid-thirties, I lived in rented rooms. I guess it can be seen as a bit ascetic, but I was happy that way, it allowed me to concentrate on the things which interested me, my art and spiritual path, reading and so on, instead of working hard to pay for a big home. I only got my own apartment after I could pay for it in cash.

----
The window pic was taken by my friend Peter.

5 comments:

Philocalist said...

Ahhh ... that 'seat' brings back memories, have had 3 of them in various guises over the years and was always impressed with how comfortable they were (regardless of how they look!)
Looking for another one right now!

Monsieur Beep! said...

Very interesting and informative. Hard to believe how digitality has changed our lives.
Thanks so much for sharing. I really like to read other people's CVs. And I always ask myself: 'Could this have been my life, too?
Also I believe more and more that my present self possibly isn't the only form of an existence...

Sorry if I'm deviating too much, but this also shows how your (personal) articles stir emotions.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank, MB.

Philocalist, I still have the Stokke knee-chair in my living room. I don't use it often, but it's too nice to get rid of.

Blogged it here.

Philocalist said...

Just looked at the Blog article ... $1200!!! Yikes ... 'they' must see you coming! :-) All 3 (or was it 4?) of my chairs came from ex-catalogue 'returns' shops on various high streets.
A chocolate brown version of yours (my first chair like this) cost me just £4.99 at one of these stores, and the most expensive, a chromed tubular steel version was less than £20!
I managed to break one of them (don't ask! :-) ), another was 'borrowed' my my daughter. Can't recall where the third one ended up, and the last one, used almost daily is now creaking rather ominously as I sit into it, so I guess it may be retired soon, as I find a replacement.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

No, that must have been a different chair. The little red knee-chair cost about $300, though that was about 20 years ago.