Sunday, October 18, 2009

Willful and Graceful

Since I like Will And Grace, and have bought all the DVDs, Amazon sometimes sends me emails saying something like: "As someone who has purchased or rated Will and Grace, you might like to know that _____ is now available."

And here's the funny thing: I always look at the item hoping to find more good comedy shows. But I never do. It's always something gay/lesbian related instead!

What's up with that? I barely notice that Will And Grace is gay related, I just love a good comedy. But either Amazon has decided that the sexual-orientation aspect is more important than it being a comedy show, or many more of their customers find that aspect more important, or... I dunno. I just find it a bit weird and striking.

2 comments:

robbie lewis said...

But it's not a good comedy. In real life a gay man and his friends wouldn't always be making lame gay jokes all the time. Maybe one day they can do a show where the main character is gay and nobody makes a big deal about it. This was an important series in that it took another step toward that goal. Not too funny though, the humor was a bit of the sledge hammer variety. Sor tof like 2 1/2 Men.

todd bridges said...

I too did find the jokes a bit "on the nose" most of the time. I liked the contrast between the flamboyant, stereotypically gay Jack and the more realistic Will. I don't know, though, how many gay people are there out there really? They all get together in pretty big numbers for Gay Pride parades (though a lot of the people there are straight and just showing their support), but in everyday life how many gay people would you encounter...say, at work? Will seemed to bump into gay guys all the time, and Jack was always picking up men. I don't even know any gay people, unless they're closeted, or maybe my "gaydar" is just malfunctioning or nonexistent.