Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Monopoly game


Dude, marriage is the 'get out of loneliness free' card in the Monopoly game of life.
           -- Veronica Pare and Ferrett Steinmetz, Home on the Strange, 11-09-07


It seems that it's generally seen so. I don't think I have seen a movie ever, for example, where in the end it's the right decision to not get married. 

I'm sure it can be great if you can stand the knocks and you have found the really right person. But it also seems that many marriages are heck, and don't cure any loneliness. 

Relatedly, I'm amazed at how many people are constantly cheating on their spouse, despite having a nice and faithful spouse. (Is it mostly men, or are women just better at hiding it?) One friend I had like that, I told about a man in my family who was also like that, and who died sick and lonely, and his ex-wife didn't even attend his funeral. 
Actually I wrote it in a letter to him. He thanked me for it, and clearly he'd gotten the message, although it was not clear whether he'd try to change. But OK, you can lead a horse to water...

1 comment:

dave_at_efi said...

Here's a movie where it shows that it isn't right to get married: "The Graduate", with Dustin Hoffman. Elaine Robinson, the daughter, was about to get married to a rich dullard, when Ben (Dustn's character) interrupts the ceremony and they run away together. The movie ends with them in a cab, suddenly both realizing the mistake they've made.

There are lots of movies where the couple splits rather than get married. Just not much fun to watch.

The whole concept of "cheating" non-functional, something out of the time when men "owned" women.

-- Dave, married for 30 years to the same woman I lived with for 10 years first.