Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Wallpaper patterns

These are two wallpaper patterns in OS X. I like them, but the OS provides only those two. Does anybody know a good resource for large pattern type wallpapers?



Update: 
Ray found this page. Many are a bit loud, but some are nice. (Many of those I like best, though, have way overdone vignetting, I wonder why.) 

(This one is louder than I was looking for, but it's kept in two colors, and the detail in it is really wonderful. Find it in many sizes here.)

5 comments:

CalgaryMark said...

This may seem naïve - but why not go to a wallpaper shop in your town and ask to borrow a sample book you like, and put a page (or several) on your scanner. Then take the book back and tell them you decided to paint the wall anyway . . .

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It's not a bad idea. Somebody also suggested going out and photographing fabrics in stores. It might just work. I just need it to be good, sharp photographs, it's not like with a news photo where the content is so important that technical flaws hardly matter. And for a photo, especially a close-up, to be critically sharp everywhere on a modern large monitor, is still no mean trick. Could be fun to try though.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

... Actually these two patterns from Apple are so crisp and perfect that I strongly suspect they are computer-generated rather than photographed.

craniac said...

Have you considered using small tileable images rather than large single images? I assume that the Mac OS supports tiling on the desktop as other OSes do.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, In the past I have many times used tiles I had made myself. But I think a well-produced full screen file is superior.