Saturday, June 26, 2010

Meditation, iPhone

Well, the meditative project that felt like it should take weeks seems to pretty much have been handled in an afternoon. Still trying to relax though.

Wow, that iPhone is beautiful. I can even read on it. If the next gen iPad has that kind of screen, and is half the weight of the current iPad... holy manana, it's the Jetsons.

I understand why Apple in recent years is so much in love with all-metal products. They really seem like high-end products. Luxury. But it's a problem with weight. Apple, please find a solution to this for tablet and notebook products, all right?
The Kindle is selling really well despite being made of mundane plastic and yet not being cheap. Apple, I'm sure you can make plastic seem like a million bucks if you put your minds to it.

10 comments:

Ray said...

" I'm sure you can make plastic seem like a million bucks if you put your minds to it."

It works in the automotive game!

Monsieur Beep! said...

Maybe with carbon fibre?

Philocalist said...

If you REALLY want the best of both worlds, magnesium is THE way to go.
Metal, extremely lightweight and very robust ... its already in such usage in other stuff!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I like the carbon fibre idea.
Though I'm sure there are many options.

Bert said...

In such tightly packaged products, all material characteristics are important, thermal conductivity not being the least of them.

The heat dissipation capability of a metal case may very well be the only way to achieve such a thin aspect without having unbearably hot spots here and there on the product.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

That's a good point.
Although the Kindle is plastic. And the iPad never even gets lukewarm.

Bert said...

The kindle is not a good example, as it has nowhere near the computing power of the iToys, has no screen backlighting, and is designed for extreme battery longevity. In short, it simply generates no heat.

The reason why the iPad's temperature remains low is precisely because any heat is immediately spread out to a large surface.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

If you say so.

So do you think it could be built at half the weight? I really want one.

Bert said...

So do you think it could be built at half the weight?

I really can't tell. Send me one to dissect and analyze, and then I'll let you know my findings! :D

But seriously, half the weight is pretty unrealistic, really. I doubt there's even 5% to scrounge before you have to start making sacrifices, be it on battery life, performance or functionality. I very much doubt that there is significant "dead weight" in the packaging, as you seem to believe.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

That's what I *hoped*, but couldn't really believe.