Thursday, June 24, 2010

iPhone 4 camera test

I must say I'm positively surprised by the 5MP camera in the iPhone Four. I would not complain about this quality in a normal compact camera. Well done, Apple.

Firstly, the front camera for self-portraits is a horse of a different hue, and not a good one: don't use it for photos, only for video, and only when necessary. It's much, much "worser" than the back camera:

... And it's only 480x640 pixels, less than a third of a megapixel! No wonder I look distressed.

The front camera though in good light, wow:

Outstanding quality for a pea-sized camera.

In low light, pretty good also:


... Sure, you can tell it's small-sensor work, but it's useable.
The plants picture had a little shadow-lifting done in Photoshop. Otherwise, pictures are as-is.

I would say that for the first time ever I have a phone which includes a camera which makes me feel like I also "have a camera" with me.

I'm also surprised to say that the touch-screen actually make it easier, it seems, to take shake-free pictures. It needs only a butterfly-wing's touch. You don't need to press and overcome resistance.
I transferred the photos to my Mac via "Image Transfer" which comes with OS X.

Is the iPhone 4 a good take-everywhere-camera? It's a big subject. I'd say if you're a architecture photographer or landscape photographer who makes meter-broad prints, no.  If you're an amateur who just like to take pictures and put the good ones in web galleries and print some as 8x10 inches, yes. 

7 comments:

Howard said...

I think you've got it about right there. From what I have read about the iPhone in the past (as a non-owner), the camera appeared to be a bit of a weak link. But those pics look promising.

A few years back my wife and I were visiting her Godfather - a professor of Art, now sadly passed away. He had his wife lived down by the River Thames near Chiswick Eyot and that particular afternoon the light on the river was delightful. At the time I had a Nokia with a 2mp camera on it and rushed out onto their balcony to take a few images. I didn't expect great things but it was all I had. My wife's Godfather was truly impressed with the results when I showed him the images on the 'phone screen. He was even kind enough to state that I had got the composition on one shot in particular "perfect". As a thank you for their hospitality I got prints done at 7x5 of the shots and sent them to them, and they agreed they came out very well. So, it is possible, and let's face it, if it's all you've got it's better than nothing.

Miserere said...

Well, I'd say it's worse than a micro 4/3 camera, but better than a daguerreotype :-)

Anonymous said...

In that second picture you look a bit like Richard Moll.

Philocalist said...

I'd be curious to see how it really stacks up against the quality available elsewhere on-phone, as this feature seems to be becoming more and more of a selling point.
I've been using a 5MP camera on a mobile for nigh on 3 years now, which has been very convenient and of a surprisingly good quality thanks to a Schneider lens ... it also has the option of hi-def video.
Got to be honest though, I'm more than a little bemused / suprised that Apple have gone for 'only' 5MP, when other cameras on phones are offering so much more.
I wonder why?

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"No wonder I look distressed."

FUNNY/SILLY YOU! :-D

Philocalist said...
"Got to be honest though, I'm more than a little bemused / suprised that Apple have gone for 'only' 5MP, when other cameras on phones are offering so much more.
I wonder why?"

Perhaps the already outrageous cost? Would it be pushing the envelope too much, at one time, to have more? And...where would they "wow" the 'Apple Freaks' if there wasn't some room for improvement, next time?!

Philocalist said...

Dunno what their logic was. To present something as (apparently) being state-of-the-art within its genre, then handicap it with technology (a 5MP camera)that has been around almost 3 years ... which relates to literally aeons in terms of this type of technology ... seems to make little sense, unless the only motive they have is to sell yet more phones when they appear with this miraculous 'upgrade'?
What? The Holy Apple??? Never!
LMAO!
Additional costs? I'm guessing minimal, particularly when the probability is that the actual manufacturing costs of the phone as it is, is likely a very small percentage of the retail price?
I guess time will tell ... we already have a sweep going on how soon it will be before a new version of the iPad is released that will turn current owners green with envy :-)
Money well spent?:-)

Something else that comes as a real surprise: I would have expected it to be entirely logical if the phone and iPad would play nice and offer instant wi-fi, or even a wi-fi hotspot, no?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

More than 5MP on such a tiny lens would make the individual pixels extremely tiny, and thus more noisy.

Canon even went *back* to fewer models in their flagship semi-compact model.