Monday, March 22, 2010

iPhone app

I'm working with a company to make a Domai iPhone/iPad app. It'll be free, just promotional, and have pretty much only faces and maybe a bit of covered bodies. I'm a good editor, and there'll be many very pretty faces, so I think it might be a success.
If it'll also help the bottom line is another matter, but it's worth a shot.
They're telling me it'll scale up to the iPad, which is important to me, so I'm making the pictures in XGA (1024 x 768 pixels), the iPad screen resolution.

Update: I think I'm calling it off, though. I've run into a wall of red tape. Apple needs to see corporation papers, Apple needs to approve everything but is not responsible for anything, and Apple can pull the app out of the store anytime they like if they don't care for it. It's BS.
For thirteen years in my business I've dealt with hundreds of photographers and other people without any contracts, and there's never been a single problem which could not be solved with a couple of emails.
I'm sure it's the same with most any larger companies, but that does not make my allergic reaction any less.

I could make it an iBook instead, but what would make it more interesting as an ebook instead of just a free web gallery? How to do that?





16 comments:

M. Pipolo said...

Knowing Apple's policies, I was befuddled when I read your first sentence there, but after reading on, I can only think... good idea! It truly says something about the nature of Domai that it could even work: certainly, not many others could do something like this.

I hope you get it finished soon and wish for the best!

Anonymous said...

I vote for #4.

Chris

Tommy said...

I on the other hand, vote for #3. (assuming of course that we're counting from the top)

Tommy

Anonymous said...

It was the nicest thing to see Masha's smile as a first thing on the page.

#1

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

I still don't understand why YT classified your most innocent "Faces of Domai" film as "for adults only".
Many other films show an advertising link, and have a VERY explicit title, and yet were allowed in the "public" area because they too "showed nothing lewd".

BHJ said...

Happy ladies, sparkling eyes -- what more could a DOM ask for on a public app?

I always look at the eyes first, even on DOMAI.com

Monsieur Beep! said...

Oh yes please pursue your portrait and partly-covered beautiful bodies idea. At least in this post if it cannot be done elsewhere.
I do love the smiles, too! They're so rare these days.

Does it mean your business is dimishing or were you looking for apps "just so", if I may ask.

Why not just leave it to publishing the portraits on your DOMAI site where you are your own boss.
Maybe an Apple representative turns up on your door step some day and asks for the right to publish your wonderful portraits, haha.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'm not sure what you mean by "just so".
The business is doing fine, considering the climate, I have no complaints.

Monsieur Beep! said...

Firstly, apologies for a typo. It shoud read "diminishing".
Spell check on my iPod sometimes is a nuisance.

"just so" = for the pleasure of experimenting.

Good to hear that business is doing fine.
Even better to imagine that people's attidude towards uncovered beauty is gradually improving because of the good intentions of DOMAI, as is being proven by the numerous articles in the newsletter section.

Timo Lehtinen said...

I think I'm calling it off, though. I've run into a wall of red tape.

Been there, done that. And this is exactly why I don't deal with big corporations anymore.

How about not making it an app, but instead an e-book, and then just distributing it from your own site. Plus encouraging people to redistribute it.

You might even distribute it over BitTorrent just to get a listing in the big tracker sites.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, it's worth thinking about.
I am always getting many and varied ideas for ebooks.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I could make it an iBook instead, but what would make it more interesting as an ebook instead of just a free web gallery? How to do that?

Timo Lehtinen said...

... but what would make it more interesting as an ebook instead of just a free web gallery?

Steal ideas from great paper books. Maybe add some design elements and prose to accompany the pictures. Make it beautiful.

In fact, given that the medium is so new, there may even be an opportunity to introduce a whole new e-book genre that others will copy in years to come.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Of course! I'll have that wrapped up by Friday! :-)

Timo Lehtinen said...

You have one more day -- a luxurious schedule.

I can't wait to see what you came up with! :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It is *very* exciting indeed.

One downside is that it really does not display well with connections of less than 2TB/second.