Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Big Cintiq updated

Wacom (pronounced Wah-com) has released a new version of their top model pen-display, Cintiq 21.
I have two earlier models (an 18-inch and a 12-inch), and they are top gear. For retouching, drawing, and painting, there's nothing like it.
I find it interesting that Wacom has a monopoly in this area, I wonder why. I'm sure it's hard to do well, but when has that ever stopped anybody? (Just look at all the iPhone wannabes where the touch-screen behaves like a 3-year-old on a sugar high.)


Ah, Valkyrie found a competitor tablet.

5 comments:

dave nielsen said...

I'd love one of these but at $2000 are a bit too expensive.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, it's priced for pros. But the hardware justifies it, it's hardware for pros.

The 12-inch version is half the price.

But that's what I mean, you'd think somebody could make a good competitor, only more plasticky, and sell it much cheaper.

Valkyrie said...

They had. I owned one. The one I had didn't use a wireless stylus but it still worked very well. It was just a tablet and didn't show the screen like that one seems to. Only cost about $99. Worked for what I needed it for which was simple Drawing/Painting and some photo manipulation. Can't remember the brand name though.

My guess is the higher quality Wacom's are so ingrained in the minds of those who use tablets that everyone else who makes them will never be able to get their foot in the door.

Valkyrie said...

Adesso has the CyberTablet M17. $800+ for the one I found.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Wacom still makes the tablets without screen, for much more reasonable prices.