Friday, February 26, 2010

Watching ads

Hah, Homer Simpson shushed his family because "the commercials are on". They looked at him incredulously, and he said: "well, if we don't watch these, it's like we're stealing TV!"

And it's sort of true, isn't it? The people who have a hard-liner stance on any kind of sharing being "stealing" (I hope they don't borrow any books ever), must surely watch the ads regularly on TV, otherwise how do they justify it?

Me, I'm sorta flexible. I have an evaluation copy of Stuffit Expander which I've been using for years on end, just because I tried to pay, and they'd made it too difficult somehow, I forget exactly how. And I don't feel bad about that. But on the other hand, almost all of the other software I have, I've paid for, gladly. I even paid extra for GraphicConverter once, because for years he did not charge for updates, and I felt it was just too valuable for me. And I've donated to many web sites I found delightful or very useful, or worth supporting.

8 comments:

Miserere said...

Eolake, I'll be sending you a PayPal donation request shortly on behalf of Enticing the Light.

Please note we only accept multiples of £100.

Thank you for your contribution!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Too bad, based on update frequency and other factors, I can only pay $20. (But heck, I would.)

Alex said...

I bought my copy of Stuffit Deluxe at Mac World about 15 years ago. I paid cash, it was the easiest thing in the world.

Later that year "The Net" came out, it seemed to have been filmed at MacWorld that spring. I digress, but you're the one reminding me of Sandra Buttocks.

I guess if you stand in a bus shelter and don't read the ad you're also stealing.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"Sandra Buttocks", how come that never occurred to me. Way back in that SF flick with Sly Stallone, she looked purty nice in those tights.

Alex said...

Somehow, at the time, I got it wedged in my mind she was in Judge Dredd with Stallone. I guess it's the similar uniform.

I didn't even notice her in Speed, but While You Were Sleeping...

Now it's all over between us, and Eliza D is my one and only... ;-)

Miserere said...

Too bad, based on update frequency and other factors, I can only pay $20.

Hey! I've got a real job to attend to, not to mention a wife! :-D

But feel free to donate $100 in 5 years ;-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

If I may take you seriously for a moment, it makes a lot more sense to take twenty dollars per year starting now, than to take a hundred in five years. For one thing, inflation. For another thing, in five years I may have been struck down by a meteor, who knows.

Alex said...

One up front fee of $100, not too bad, then your next invoice is in 5 years.

Maybe I should add a PayPal begging bowl on my blog too ;o)