Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cable on two TV sets (updated)

After five years without TV (only discs), I'm getting cable again. Maybe it's HD beckoning, but also that the modern boxes will record and let you fast-forward through ads and so on. And I'll probably save lots of money on DVDs. Amazingly, over a hundred channels and HD was only 14 GBP/month ($20) more expensive than zero! (I already was using Virgin's broadband and phone service.)

Now, I also have a TV in the bedroom which I'd like to use sometimes in addition to the one in the living room. I imagine it's not a big deal to hook it up to the cable box (which will be installed this Friday), but how do I make the remote work? It's no further than one strategically placed mirror could do it, but I guess that's hardly practical.

Update:
The installer told me the only way to get it on the second TV is to get a box more. I find the pricing reasonable: £5 more per month, and £35 for installing it. But maybe I just won't bother, and will keep that TV for disc only. One reason is that if I want to record anything (and that's part and parcel of the whole experience these days, I have to keep the device on, it is not loud but you can hear it, and I'm quite sensitive to noise when I wanna sleep.
... Of course I could just use the living room box for recording, but I suspect I'd get tired of zipping out there and navigate to whatever took my flighty fancy.

9 comments:

Bert said...

Just make sure you get a DVR with an RF remote instead of the cheaper & more common infrared, and it will work just fine from anywhere inside your place.

If this option is not available for the particular service you chose, then there are a wide variety of remote repeaters that you could use instead, such as this one. Note that this is merely an example, I am not recommending any specific product, there are too many options available.

Keep in mind that the best and most reliable option still remains a set-top box with an RF remote, though; the difference in convenience is usually most definitely worth the price difference.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, dude.
I guess I'm stuck with the box Virgin installs, but the repeater sounds interesting, I did not know about such.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Ah, a search for Remote Control Extender turns up several options on Amazon UK. I had no idea this was a market... I'll save this page until the installer guy has been here Friday afternoon, and I'm more sure what they have for me. (Virgin customer support don't know the tech stuff, and the tech support line has a long que.)

Bert said...

I guess I'm stuck with the box Virgin installs

Then it's certainly is worth a phone call to find out what option they have, you might be pleasantly surprised. The RF remote is a very popular option, so they may have it, perhaps even as std equipment.

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"Virgin customer support don't know the tech stuff, and the tech support line has a long que."

One can only HOPE that you won't need them any time soon after you get hooked up w/them, then!! Hrmph! :-(

Anonymous said...

Have both TVs setup and working and see if the installer can get the setup the way you want it to work.
From my experience, these folks have seen it all and can get the system working much better than me trying to figure it out.
If they can't get it right, then start with the alternatives.
My 2 cents worth.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Good point, and pretty much my plan, only I'm addicted to preparedness.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Update:
The installer told me the only way to get it on the second TV is to get a box more. I find the pricing reasonable: £5 more per month, and £35 for installing it. But maybe I just won't bother, and will keep that TV for disc only. One reason is that if I want to record anything (and that's part and parcel of the whole experience these days, I have to keep the device on, it is not loud but you can hear it, and I'm quite sensitive to noise when I wanna sleep.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

... Of course I could just use the living room box for recording, but I suspect I'd get tired of zipping out there and navigate to whatever took my flighty fancy.