Saturday, November 07, 2009

Canon S90 review


LumLan reviews an interesting compact camera, the Canon S90.
"The just released Canon S90 ... is currently the world's smallest and lightest shirt-pocket-sized (SPS) camera that shoots raw*. It has an almost 4X zoom (28–105mm equivalent) and has a remarkable f/2 as its widest aperture at the wide end of its range."

* Update:
Bruce said:
Re: "The just released Canon S90 ... is currently the world's smallest and lightest shirt-pocket-sized (SPS) camera that shoots raw."
Simply not true. Panasonic FX-150 is smaller, shoots RAW. Several days ago I wrote a note to Luminous Landscape pointing out their error. I included a link to the side by side comparison at dpreview in my note to LL. No question that FX-150 is smaller. And it does have RAW.

---
Here's one of the pictures Mike took with the camera, I really like it:

5 comments:

neeraj said...

"The just released Canon S90 ... is currently the world's smallest and lightest shirt-pocket-sized (SPS) camera that shoots raw."

That's IMO only true, if you use only the built-in software of any compact camera as provided by the manufacturer.

To shoot RAW is, as far as I know, only a question of the software inside the camera. For nearly every Canon compact camera (also for my old PowerShot A630) exists an open source software on the CHDK-forum (I had already mentioned it earlier), which can do that and much more. The German forum is www.wirklemms.de/chdk/forum/index.php, in English see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK.

This software is stored on the SD card and starts with a certain kind of switching on the camera - it's like an add-on of the built-in firmware, but doesn't change it. When you take out the especially prepared SD card and switch on the camera as usually with an unprepared SD card, then the built-in firmware is working again as if nothing has happened - so, basically no problems with breach of warranty.

I'm interested to check it out one day, but haven't done yet. That's not the highest priority on my laundry list, and there are so many other things to do ...

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

Neeraj,

I've been playing with the CHDK on my SD800; as I can't afford a new camera right now. It's pretty easy to implement, however ... it is very slow to write to the card in RAW or DNG. It took me about an hour to figure it out, download the proper hack, and get it in the camera, and I've left it where I have to turn it on, easy, when I want it on. So when Elvis lands in a flying saucer in my backyard, I turn on the camera to it's original state.

For those of a tinkering set of mind, worth trying.

neeraj said...

Ah - thanks for the info. So, maybe, I will check it out earlier than expected by me ...

Bruce said...

"The just released Canon S90 ... is currently the world's smallest and lightest shirt-pocket-sized (SPS) camera that shoots raw."
Simply not true. Panasonic FX-150 is smaller, shoots RAW. Several days ago I wrote a note to Luminous Landscape pointing out their error. I included a link to the side by side comparison at dpreview in my note to LL. No question that FX-150 is smaller. And it does have RAW.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, I've updated.