Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Snowwhite's Revenge

Bert found Snowwhite's Revenge, Apple Powerbook case modification. It's a vinyl decal you can buy.
Besides the cute idea, I think it's quite beautiful, very simple lines, just one color, etc.


Which reminds me: I loved the colored iMacs back around the millennium, before they went flat-screen. And Apple and Jon Ive's team still makes great industrial designs but... they are almost too simple these days, too minimalist. Aside from the logo, there is no decoration whatsoever on a Macbook. My first Apple laptop (the first I bought from new anyway) was the "Lombard" (or "Powerbook G3 (Bronze keyboard)" as Apple lovingly called it). Here it is:

... it was Apple's first really slim Powerbook, and I think it was beautiful. See, there is no functional reason for the three panels with the lovely curved lines on the lid (and notice: the texture and reflection is subtly different between the panels). They are there because of the visual appeal. I think Apple lost something when they dropped stuff like this and went aggressively minimalist.

------------
(Wow, this makes me nostalgic. Those were some heady days, back when my own business took off, and I could afford to buy a computer like this back when they cost about five grand. And for a year, I think, I ran all my sites, production, and business on that machine. Of course it couldn't handle the size of the files I work with these days.)

5 comments:

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Very elegant. Though I'm not sure I get the exact "revenge" idea. Any relation with my apricot story? Looks like a mix of pesticides and Mexican Flu topics.

Is there one with Mother Eve? Surely someone thought of it already!

Monsieur Beep! said...

Your type of business, working from home and being your own boss, including other perks, has always fascinares me!

Monsieur Beep! said...

Please forgive the typos - written on iPod in bright daylight...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It has two downsides: it can be difficult to *really* takes days off. And if you were used to good colleagues, you can miss that a little.
But overall, the lack of a commute and being your own boss is fantastic, I love it. If I feel like working for an hour or two early in the morning, and then take a long nap, I just do that. Of course if one has to work 12 hours a day, you still have the pressure, but if not, it's great to be able work pretty much when you feel most like it.

TC [Girl] said...

In another vein re: Snow White, I wondered if you might find this interesting as it has Phil Collins' daughter in it. Thought you might like her.