Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Looking for tush

I was just rocking out to Joan Jett's "Tush":



... When I thought: that's remarkably saucy lyrics, ain't it? ("Lord, take me downtown, I'm just looking for some tush [ass]".) I looked them up and found out it's actually a ZZ Top song. A remarkably faithful cover, and yet at least as good as the original:



... so maybe I should look at bit into ZZ Top, never really did.

Update: I can't find it on youtube, but I found a tremendous track. John Lee Hooker playing Boom Boom (the song he played in Blues Brothers), with backup by ZZ Top! I didn't see that combination coming! But man, it rocks.

6 comments:

Bruce said...

ZZ Top does not take themselves too seriously. They were fun, back in the day. When videos on MTV were king, ZZ Top made some entertaining ones. Check out Legs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLiC5hf-DJc

And Sharp Dressed Man, from the same time period:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP2ECZLQSqo

Cristina Rodguez said...

ZZ Top are pretty cool, fun, rock. Iconic. Don't really know if they are up to touring still, but I recently saw one of them on TV, on the show "Bones", as the father of one of the characters. Like actually the father character was the ZZ Top guy, but she didn't want to talk about it.

Robb in Houston said...

Yeah! ZZ Top still rocks Houston, Texas, USA! You should see Billy's bar - in the house!

Chris S. said...

I saw ZZ Top live in Vancouver about 25+ years ago. I ahve no idea what they're up to now but they gave a great show back then.

Bruce said...

Thanks for the update - ZZ Top's La Grange borrows heavily from John Lee Hooker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7OoTXNzn6k

You gotta love those outfits!

I'm glad to hear that ZZ and John Lee got together.

TC [Girl] said...

Talkin' 'bout funny lyrics, I'm watching a little "old" woman (that's puttin' it mildly; she's gonna be 100 in May!) who likes Country music so...I've been listenin' to it, and am gettin' a hoot (and a holler!) outta one Cowboy's lyrics. And...then, there's sweet/tender lyrics like for these (sigh :-) Musta been lookin' in the wrong "class" of peeps, all my life! I can see what Nicole Kidman might have been attracted to...never mind how durn handsome her beau is! :-P