Monday, December 01, 2008

Unexpected bonus

Big bonus paid to employees from ex-owners of a business, article.

I like giving best when it's unexpected. A child who gets twenty Christmas gifts may just get mad that he didn't get twenty-five. But if you give him a single gift unexpectedly in the middle of the year, he'll be delighted.


I was acquaintences w/a woman, years ago, that had adopted 2 little kids. She invited me and my husband over to a birthday celebration that she was going to have for them, along w/a GOB of other people. She, herself, was not entirely financially *comfortable*. We later found out (after being invited again the next year -- we weren't even working together, any longer, and...we had no kids) that she was just using people to SHOWER these kids with a GAZILLION toys!! I sat and watched as these little people stood on top of a mound of gifts for EACH of them taller than they were; unwrapping each gift in such a *feverish* pace that they were trembling. Just as quickly as they ripped the present open, they literally threw the present to the side and dove for another...like they were working their way up to the ultimate prize! They didn't stop for one minute to *take in*/*receive* the present that someone had taken the time to get them. It was quite appalling to see.


It's the human condition, isn't it? There's this hole we're trying to fill. When candy doesn't work, we try sex, when sex doesn't work, we try money, when money doesn't work, we try fame, ekcetera.

7 comments:

Johnnie Walker said...

If I had a kid who was given 20 Xmas presents and complained he didn't get 25 would be getting zip the next year.

You're right, though, the unexpected gift is the best.

Anonymous said...

That was a nice gesture on the part of the owners showing how much they believed in a family business where every worker's contribution was appreciated. Definitely flies in the face of the usual greedy capitalist stereotype of fattening up companies for the market slaughter.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"Definitely flies in the face of the usual greedy capitalist stereotype"
Might explain why the whole world considers this to be interesting news!
:-\

I recall a Christmas spent with a friend's family. Not really modest, but that's all you can say. Well, I'll never forget the shrieks of pure joy of this little girl, opening and discovering each of her presents. There was no indifference THERE.
A very fond memory. One of my most pleasant christmases, and yet I always loved the gifts I got when *I* was a child.
Okay, except when they were clothes. (mumble mumble just because Jesus was born naked doesn't mean mumble mumble)
I think I was born naked in the Middle East too, but it didn't give me traumatic gymnophobia!!!

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Oh, and lovely story.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

All my adult life, I've pretty much only gotten socks and sweaters. Arrrrrrgh!!

Anonymous said...

"There's this hole we're trying to fill. When candy doesn't work, we try sex, when sex doesn't work, we try money, when money doesn't work, we try fame, ekcetera."

I agree. But I think the times are a-changing. Many people are discovering being in the now. There are movements with different names for it (Voluntary simplicity, 4-hour workweek, etc.) all pointing to the same. Some are discovering it through financial hardship, etc.

In the end people do listen to their inner voice.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"All my adult life, I've pretty much only gotten socks and sweaters."
That'll teach you to quote Albus Dumbledore when talking to Santa!

"Many people are discovering being in the now."
How come then I see none of them in Lebanon?
What, our beautiful country's not scenic enough? ):P
Palestines... I mean, Philistines!