Sunday, October 12, 2008

Garden closeups

Just had a chat with the neighbors in the garden (it's a stunningly lovely day this Sunday) and took these.
Some of these, like the table and the leaves, are better in full size, for the texture and tones.

By the way, does anybody know: on most sites (like my stobblehouse.com) an image will scale to fit the window in modern browsers. But for some reason on this site they don't, neither in Windows of Mac... ?

I was asked: "Do you have a green room? ... red room?... darkroom?"
I said I used to, but these days the computer and printer has all the advantages.








... Funny, the last picture (many leaves) I added later as an afterthough, but I think it is actually one of the best. I have it sitting on my screen desktop now. I like the interplay between the various sizes of leaves, and different colors.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll find that pictures in HTML pages don't scale whereas stand-alone images do scale (or can easily be scaled).

E.g.:

http://stobblehouse.com/photo/edin2/big/rocks1-big.jpg

is a URL of the JPEG image directly, not of an HTML page containing (imbedding by reference) the image so it scales. In Firefox (3.0 on Linux) it shows full size but with the cursor active as a zoom button to fit to the display area size.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes indeed, but the pictures here are also stand-alone images. The URL ends in .jpg

Anonymous said...

Hmmph, thought I responded last night. Don't know where that went.

Just because the URL ends in .jpg doesn't mean that it's actually a JPEG. URLs are "opaque" - you're not supposed to deduce anything from the contents.

Actually, with Blogger, the references to the full size image actually point to a short HTML page which just shows the image. It has some JavaScript in it which, I think, does something to stop the image being imbedded in another page.

If you look at one of your images and do a "view source" you'll see this HTML. The URL of the actual image is pretty much the same as that of the wrapping HTML page except that it's missing "-h" at the end of the top level "directory" component.

If I try to open that image directly Firefox doesn't display it but instead offers to save it. I think it's because Blogger is serving it with a header like this:

Content-Disposition: attachment;filename="yellowleafsmall.jpg"

I don't know how much control you, as the blog author, have but if there's anything you can do to turn off this HTML wrapper then that would allow the images to scale.

Alternatively, you could perhaps host the large images on one of your other sites.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, Hangar, this is very helpful indeed.

Damn sharp of you.