Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Tuesday art, and what I did not select

In continuation of my answer to Foye in the Monday Art post below, I wanted to show a couple of examples of results that I did not consider interesting art.
An interesting result of this was that I realized that it is actually hard to find results that I was sure that somebody would not consider Nice or Interesting. Which tells me that perhaps selecting is pretty important when judging the importance of the Artist's input, even when randomness or outside input is a big factor. In other words, somebody else would be extremely unlikely to select the same results to present.

In any case, here are a few results that I would not select as artistically interesting, to me at least. They may or may not be art, but they are not "Stobblehouse art".

Not selected:
Not selected:
Not selected:
Not selected:
Not selected:


Not selected: Not selected:
(In particular the last one. :)
(Though actually it would fit in the "monochrome" fine art genre. I'm not kidding, apparently some people pay art prices for a canvas painted one color.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The second one (not-selected4.jpg) is interesting. Perhaps it's not art by itself, but it could be used as a background for something.

Anonymous said...

Well, one man's garbage is another's treasure... ;-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Quoting Peppermint Patty: "Could you be more Pacific?"

Anonymous said...

Pacific? I didn't think that sounded agressive, at least to YOU. ;-)

I meant that what you discard, some people would not hesitate to sell.
And, more moderately, that these may not be "works of art", but some of them are pretty (like #2 that TTL mentioned), or interesting in their own way. #1 (not-selected3.jpg) looks like some photomicrography, maybe a culture of gram-positive bacteriae. "Artist view of an electron microscope lab photography", etc.
And "not-selected2.jpg" resembles red blood cells (albeit from a Martian). Art or not art? Interesting anyway.

Of course, what makes your art unique, is your own appreciation. It's not "Stobblehouse art". It's not garbage either.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Peppermint Patty talking to her teacher: "You ask me to study the ocean... but which ocean? Could you be more pacific?"

Anyway, thanks for the comments. See this was just what I realized when I tried to pick my rejects.