Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The soft hero

Villain: "Give me the doomsday bomb or your girlfriend dies."

Hero: "I'll do whatever you want, just don't hurt her."

... Basic plot of MI-III.
Good action movie, but the hero makes the same mistake of most heroes everywhere: he sacrifices the bigger thing for the smaller thing. Dumb.

---
I bitched about just this point in an email conversation with Terry Pratchett back in 2000. A year later Thief Of Time came out, and it had a plot point about exactly that. Coinkidink? I think not, but Pratchett got offended when I asked. :)
---
Man, I can't believe that English comedian/actor Simon Pegg has a part in MI-III. Good for Simon. Have you seen the show "Spaced"? One of the finest and most inventive comedies ever.
---
I don't watch many action movies, but this is one of better ones for sure. And not only are the stunts amazing, but Tom Cruise does them himself. Just one example is a big tanker truck which skids sideways and rolls right over Tom, him passing between the two axels. It's nuts. How the heck do they get insurance for a film like that?

Pascal offered:
"I' haven't seen MI-3, but I'm ready to bet that by some highly unlikely but still successful prodigy of luck, daringness and/or skill, he saves both the girl and the world. 3 to 1 says in a huge explosion, too."

Actually that's one of the things that allowed me to watch the movie all the way through: they managed to subvert the worst of the action movie cliches, and do a bit of inventing.
Also, I'd say that this one was better and MI-II, and infinitely better than MI-I.

Oooh, oooh: they managed to create the ultimate Mcguffin: we never find out what the friggin thing actually is! It just doesn't matter. That's pretty bold. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don't care if you're going to destroy the whole world as soon as you get your weapon, I'll give it to you if you don't kill her now!"

I'm so logically smart even I am amazed at myself sometimes!

P.S.: I' haven't seen MI-3, but I'm ready to bet that by some highly unlikely but still successful prodigy of luck, daringness and/or skill, he saves both the girl and the world. 3 to 1 says in a huge explosion, too.

[SPOILER WARNING]

It was bad enough they made Jim Phelps the villain in the first movie. As if HIS decades of dedication in the series had never happened. ):-p

Anonymous said...

Good action movie, but the hero makes the same mistake of most heroes everywhere: he sacrifices the bigger thing for the smaller thing. Dumb.

i disagree because love rules at the moment. nobody can know the heart. seems to me that the hero cannot be heroic until his love is temporarily safe which gives him the will and courage to fight the bigger challenge.

Anonymous said...

it takes a male a moment to impregnate a female but a man to father the child a lifetime......

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"nobody can know the heart. seems to me that the hero cannot be heroic until his love is temporarily safe"

What an archilles heel this is.

Sure, I realize it's not easy.

Like Terry Pratchett said it: what's personal is not the same as what's important.

Anonymous said...

"it takes a male a moment to impregnate a female but a man to father the child a lifetime."

Very nicely said. Seems to me like you're ready for part two. :-)

Or, as an inspirational magnet on my fridge says, "Anyone can be a father, it takes someone special to be a daddy."

Anonymous said...

Very nicely said. Seems to me like you're ready for part two. :-)

thanks pascal :)