Saturday, April 07, 2007

Lizzy John art


Lizzy John.

It's all done on the computer, and the compositions and lines and tones and so on are impressive, and the works are also imaginative and expressive.
(Some of the characters are a little bit on the "manga" side for me, but I guess that's young people for ya.)




This is one of my favorites. I like the abstractness of the frame, and the brightness of the red which somehow manages to still look like it could be real. Not to mention that the red lines on the creature is one more abstract element. I love abstract elements which work well in otherwise representational art. I'd like to do more of it myself.

... I've been reading the comments Lizzy herself put under the works. And she often says things like "I know the background doesn't really work", and such. Which is silly, at her level, any of her work is as close to perfect as matters. So I wrote her this advice:

OK, here's a thing: forums like this site [Deviant Art] are wonderful, but there's a downside: one gets constant comments on technical details. And this can lead one to focus too much on those, long after it really doesn't matter.

After a certain point (which you, Lizzy, are long past) nobody from the general public will see the tiny "flaws" that you worry about. And after that point you should focus much more on production and promotion than on technical improvement.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eolake,
I have to say you got me pretty annoyed with your generalization here in your first sentence about female artists. I have to say that it does bother me quite a bit, since most of my life, I worked my butt off trying to get the technique right on my art as much as to get the emotion across, if not more. I'd post a still life here that is nothing but pure pencil technique if I knew how, just to show you how hard I worked on technique alone! I just really get annoyed when I see generalizations like that, that's all.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Quite right, it might be baseless, I'll remove it.

Anonymous said...

Love these. They're amazingly well done, in drawing as well as the finish. The first one is so cute!
I'm not surprised to find out there's a woman's touch behind this delicately expressed poetry.

I doubt any man from the same time period (mentalities have evolved today) could/would have written Mary Shelley's masterpiece, "Frankenstein", where the monster is not gratuitously evil just to scare the reader.

Anonymous said...

Eolake,
Thank you. Sorry for jumping on you so hard. I must have been overly touchy yesterday. Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

wow?