Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Honey etc

One of the nice things I can get on cable but couldn't on DVDs are those shows who show how various things are made. I like those. I've just started a segment about fiberoptics, I'm certainly curious about those, the astronomical amount of communication they can carry is fascinating.
The segment just before it was about honey. I didn't know that until about 150 years ago when somebody invented the removable honey frame, they had to kill the bees to get the honey. And also, a single hive can produce three kilos of honey per day! That's astounding.

Surprising to me, a segment about bricks was more interesting than the one on fiberoptics. Of course the segments are superficial though, for example it was not explained why clay gets so amazingly hard when it gets fired (baked), I never got that.

And then, church organs. One of those may have over 2,000 pipes. They must be fabulously expensive. And how many customers can they possibly have, I'm a bit amazed that there can really be an industry there, surving.

It's a bit of a voyeur thing, I guess, on one level. But I like it, it satisfies some of my natural curiosity about the world, without going into politics and such BS.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on this topic.
Just watched a segment on Americana junk food and how it is made. I will never look at a Hostess Twinkee the same, but damn they are good.
We did a segment on 'Hands on History' of how we build neon signs for Las Vegas, but I couldn't find a link to it on their site. If you would like a brief intro into it I will be happy to mail you a copy of the
CD. You know my email and all I need is a mailing address.

Steve

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"Per day"? Wow, Honey, you're amazing! :-)

There's a shortage in church organs. "Donations are welcome."

"It's a bit of a voyeur thing, I guess, on one level."
Don't mistake curiosity for learning as voyeurism!
The voyeur gets his pathetic kicks from intruding on intimacy, and usually focuses on one single, ever same topic. Eye glued to the keyhole, so to speak. :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yeah, I didn't really mean voyeurism so much as spectatorism or something.

But I also feel it improves your understanding of the universe.