Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Pen is released (updated)

The long awaited "big compact" from Olympus has arrived. Article -- article. Official site.

IR article.
DPr article, with image samples. The few high-ISO samples (why do they always make so few of those?) look surprisingly good. Not super-sharp, but that could be due to shutter time.
This is from the 35mm (equivalent) compact lens. Nice.



The Amazon page has a lot of tech info in a concise form.
Funny enough, Amazon UK sells a kit with both lenses, which US does not seem to do.

I hope we can really get it in black, as this photo hints at. (Some sites say we can. On the other hand, this photo may be fake. The shadow from the lens seems to be in negative!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, are you kidding? I've had that marked on my calendar for months.

Bert said...

It's been a while since I had a kick like this. I just love the looks of it, especially in silver.

I wonder how the silver will look with a black lens mounted, though...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, it does seem like a big step towards the kind of camera which gives one pleasure just for having and using, instead of merely all the bells and whistles.

BlankPhotog said...

$799 retail according to Olympus' pre-order site. If it comes down to $500 I'll bite, but probably not before then. By that time, the second firmware set will be out anyway. ;)

Eolake S said...

I wouldn't hold my breath. It has better features than an entry-level DSLR, and it's positioned to connoisseur market.