Sunday, January 18, 2009

Blondie: Slow Motion



I remember seeing Debbie Harrie on TV for the first time (1977 maybe). I was thunderstruck. My older brother and mom half-teased me: "I'd like to know what you're type of girl is." I said, "well, her! Duh."
I think the song we saw was Heart of Glass:



... It would fit, she is frigging gorgeous in this one.

I always saw Blondie as the closest thing to the model band for the band Frozen Gold in Iain Banks' woderful novel Espedair Street.

Blondie was disbanded between 1982 and 1997. They came together because interest had grown. Their albums since then, No Exit and The Curse Of Blondie, are surprisingly nice. (Funny enough, both titles can be interpreted as meaning the band members had tried to get rid of/out of Blondie, but just can't. I wonder.)

4 comments:

Tommy said...

"... It would fit, she is frigging gorgeous in this one."

Ah, do I detect the desire to have a new DOMAI model?

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, she was a Playboy Bunny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Harry

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I heard a rumor back then that she'd once been a "kept bimbo" for a millionaire, surely a monstrous slur. :-)

She kept her looks well, she was already thirty when they formed Blondie in 1975.

Anonymous said...

This is the second time she's popped up in my feed list in a week. See how great she's still looking in Deborah Harry's Plastic Surgery Rocks.

I never realised that she was quite an accomplished actress until I saw her in a less than glamourous role in My Life Without Me a few months ago.