Sunday, October 19, 2008

Kids about e-book readers

Either British kids are very conservative by nature, or the BBC weeded out most of the positive opinions...
Article.
... Actually it looks like the kids were answering a question about reading on regular computers, but then they put the replies in an article about e-book reading devices, which are a different beast altogether. But news outlets love controversy.
Here are the first four quotes:

No way could ebooks every replace real books! Books are trying to get people away from the computer, so what's the point of reading them if you're just on the computer more? And if they were on the computer, people would start trying to get them for free and then it would start a book thing just like with music.
Claire, 14, Caerphilly

Maybe for some people it is a good idea, but I think that it would completely spoil the feeling of reading.
Jenna, 14, London

I would hate to see the day ebook overpower books. I'd say that books are more reliable than a computer screen, you know... I mean I would hate if I had to use ebooks because they could "shut down" or catch a "virius". So that would like never work for me.
Natalie, 14, USA

I don't really see the point. What's wrong with books as they are? It WOULD be harder to read off a screen. And, you can't exactly turn on the computer every time you want a bedtime story!! That would be a bit daft!
Bushrah, 13, Plaistow

5 comments:

Alex said...

I was going to gripe about "Virius", what is that? Then I found this.

It is a sad world

Alex said...

Say, on a more serious note, I had my first first hand experience with eInk the other day, on the 75th anniversary edition of Esquire. It looked good, but at first I thought it was just LCD shutters over paper art. I wasn't LCD, but they were just using the eInk to blank or partially blank out the background. In a lightweight, flexible form I could go for an e-book reader. At the moment I am thinking an A5 sized tablet would be better than some heftier tomes.

As for book pricing, project Guttenberg and other library services have already helped me get hold of hard to find publications which otherwise would cost me several hundred dollars for a copy.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"on the 75th anniversary edition of Esquire."

What's that?

Alex said...

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/video/e-ink-cover-video

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Cool, thanks.