Thursday, June 19, 2008

tOP's recommendations

Like Mike himself sez, this list is sure to be outdated soon, since new Canons and Nikons are expected any day now, but still, if you wan't a camera right now, look at tOP's recommended list.

I have been reading and linking to The Online Photographer since it was born a couple years ago, and I'm very pleased that it has grown into such a presence on the web (and I think even a half-decent income for Mike), because I've been a fan of his writing for much longer. I can prove it, I ordered his book The Empirical Photographer at least a year before tOP was born. Before the book was published, in fact.

I think Mike's writing combines several qualities which you rarely find together: it's entertaining, it's personal, it's relevant, it's sharp, and it has perspective. Oh, and an underlying wry humor. And he does not strain to get to any of these qualities, they are there because of who he is and what he believes, he can't do it any differently, and he wouldn't, no matter what anybody would pay him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What most stuck in my mind about the article was that Carl Weese's K20D is a "boughten" one, while Mike's is a loaner from Pentax.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Why's that?