Friday, June 20, 2008

Pain au chocolat

Image by Luc Viatour.

Once in a cafe, I pointed at a pain au chocolat and said I wanted a "chocolate pain". This consternated a well dressed lady next to me, who wanted to know why I called it that. I said that I couldn't pronounce it in French. This almost upset her, she couldn't see how that was hard.
Like John Cleese says, humor is brittle.

Damien informed:
It's called a 'pain au chocolat' in most of France.... except in the southwest where it's a 'chocolatine'. And people would get very upset if you used that word in a parisian bakery ;-)
However you may have better luck with this one, it's pronounced [shockolattin]. No weird nasal vowels ! Not sure they will know it though.
Be carefull when asking for a "chocolate pain", you might end up shackled in a dungeon and flogged with confectionnery.

No, I can pronounce it in French, I just think "chocolate pain" is a funny term. It hints at the love/hate relationship many of us have with chocolate.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It's called a pain au chocolat in most of France.... except in the southwest where it's a chocolatine. And people would get very upset if you used that word in a parisian bakery ;-)

However you may have better luck with this one, it's pronounced [shockolattin]. No weird nasal vowels ! Not sure they will know it though.

Be carefull when asking for a chocolate pain, you might end up shackled in a dungeon and flogged with confectionnery.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

No, I can pronounce it in half-decent French, I just think "chocolate pain" is a funny term. It hints at the love/hate relationship many of us have with chocolate.

Johnnie Walker said...

It wouldn't be pronounced "shockolattin". Besides, you could just say "I'd like a Chocolate Teen." Congrats on killing the joke though, everyone knew what Monsieur Stobblehouse meant.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks.

"Chocolate Teen"... sounds nice. I see some around town, they look delectable.

Alex said...

Hmm, Chocolate Teen may replace my previous favourite dish of "muchacha desnuda con crema".

I think you made a Freudian Slip, isn't it a love/hate relationship with our continental neighbours?

Luc Viatour said...

This illustration was made by Luc Viatour

Please credit this with : Luc Viatour in the immediate vicinity of the image. A link to my website www.lucnix.be is much appreciated but not mandatory.

Do not copy this image illegally by ignoring the terms of the license below, as it is not in the public domain. If you would like special permission to use, license, or purchase the image please contact me

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

OK, done.