Thursday, March 06, 2008

Nikon F

I just got this from eBay. This is the Nikon F, the original professional "system camera". First came out in 1959, for lord's sake, it's almost a century old.
To me this is just a beautiful machine, both technically and aesthetically.


My sample looks different from the one on the wiki page, because mine has a viewfinder attached with a built-in metering system, which allowed reading the light through the lens and adjusting the camera directly to fit the metered light level, a brand new concept in the sixties.

Michael said:
I was born in 1952. This camera came out in 1959, and it's almost a century old?
I -- I think I'd better sit down. All of a sudden, I feel terribly, terribly old.

Wait... (fetching calculator) (punching numbers for a considerable time) no, hahaha, I think I meant "half a century". Silly me. I hope nobody rushed out to get one in the belief that it's soon to be a genuine antique.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finally getting a Real Camera! :-)

... to take photos with.

Anonymous said...

I was born in 1952. This camera came out in 1959, and it's almost a century old?

I -- I think I'd better sit down. All of a sudden, I feel terribly, terribly old.

Anonymous said...

Yep, the time just flew by. And yet we still don't have flying cars.

Bert said...

"Silly me. I hope nobody rushed out to get one in the belief that it's soon to be a genuine antique."

How do you expect us fellows, now suddenly century-old ruins, to rush out for anything? Silly you indeed.

Anonymous said...

Ayup, I'm old, all right. Why, I remember when a "Made in Japan" label meant shoddy, cheap junk. Nowadays, it means high-quality, expensive junk. And you know how they turned that around? Old-fashioned Yankee ingenuity, that's how!

Heck, I'm older than dirt. Yeah, I remember when dirt first came in. I thought it was gonna be a passing fad, but, you know, we're still usin' it.

Oh... half a century, you say? I feel much better now.