Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sinatra

Famous article about Frank Sinatra, from 1966.

It's interesting how a very young Harlan Ellison figures in the article. If anybody could match Sinatra in the ferocious-ego department, it would be Ellison.

Quote:
"It was reported then that the paparazzi had made Sinatra a collective offer of $16,000 if he would pose with Ava Gardner; Sinatra was said to have made a counter offer of $32,000 if he could break one paparazzi arm and leg."

Now that's funny! I can understand him.

Though it must be said I don't get the appeal of his music. And I have a hard time respecting a man, no matter how successful and well dressed, who is so much into fighting, on so many levels.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, see, Frankie was good friends with the Don, see. So he was no sissy, see. Ya insults him, ye's gonna get tough on ya, see? Club ya to get respect, see?
Especially in front of a lady friend. Si! Capisce?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Capisce.

Anonymous said...

I don't really get Sinatra's appeal either. Ellison's an interesting guy but I would probably hate him if I met him - or at least would find him annoying. Little guys often have the kind of attitude he goes - like a pug trying to act all tough around a St. Bernard. Good writer, though, which is the important thing.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

I love watching a pug trying to act all tough around a St. Bernard. :-D
Provided I'm not the St. Bernard, I guess. Even a saint's patience isn't infinite. WOOF! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Cue drumroll and cymbal clash, Pascal. :-)