Friday, October 26, 2007

Leopard

Neener-neener-neener, I got Leopard early!
(How geeky can you get.)

Update: Aaargh! Disappointment. The new internal hard disk I got for installing Leopard on was broken. Durn it all to heck.
I wanted a new disk because I need a bigger one anyway, and because while it has been rare on my Mac that a system upgrade broke any apps, for some reason I got the idea it might this time, and a few of my mission critical apps don't have upgrades.

Update 2: Worse, there's some indication that my macro app, iKey, is not and may not even become Leopard-compatible. That would truly suck, I have invested so much time in that.

Later update yet:
I looked at the more advanced competitor macro app, QuicKeys, and to my surprise the interface is actually easier, so I'm going with that one. Probably a step up for me, it'll turn out.

I like the Leopard look-and-feel a lot, event the parts that some bitch about, like the see-through menu bar and the blue-grey folder icons. (I never cared all that much for the bright blue color of the old folder icons.)

... Apple's excellent Migration Assistant software is currently transferring all my old files and settings from the old hard disk. It seems it's going to take near four hours, even with direct hard disk interface! (About half a terrabyte of data.) I feel stranded without access to my email app.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations :-))
and a happy weekend to you!

Steve said...

I'm curious to see what your experiences are with it. I haven't seen anything with Leopard that makes me really want to go out and get it. I can only see myself getting it if an application I really want requires it.

Anonymous said...

I'm using it right now too. I was lucky enough to be in the states rather than wait a few more weeks to have the privilege of paying double for it.
Barely started using it, but I'm enjoying the eye candy. Installed without hassle while I took a break to enjoy the Nightmare before Christmas in 3d.:)
Good luck with ikey

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the dead disk.

"... there's some indication that my macro app, iKey, is not and may not even become Leopard-compatible. That would truly suck, I have invested so much time in that."

But isn't the investment in these kinds of tools mostly in the designing of your personal macro set and learning to memorise the individual macros? Surely you would continue to benefit from that investment even after switching to a newer, Leopard-compatible, tool.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yeah, OK. But I don't like the thought of using hours learning to use a new app, and on programming in dozens and dozens of macros again. I was all set.

Anonymous said...

My single most important criteria in choosing software is that all data is accessible in a documented and open manner. Preferably directly, through a well defined file format, but at the very least through an import/export function. Unless an "app" meets this basic criteria I won't even look into it.

Now, I do not use any keyboard macro software, but as an example: Unless it provided access to the macros through a simple text file, editable with any text editor, I wouldn't touch it. It would be a dead end with regards to data reusability.

What if you want to programatically generate a set of, say, a thousand macro definitions for a specific task? There are many ways and tools that allow you to do this. But how do you get into the keyboard macro "app" unless it implements an open file format?

I can not understand what goes on in the minds of software developers who want to hold the user captive by not letting them access their own data! It seems this kind of ignorance is pervasive in the Mac world. Even many of Apple's own "apps" are dead end streets with regards to data reusability.

Anonymous said...

It’s worth taking a few minutes watching the Leopard Guided Tour – especially from an ‘intentional design’ perspective.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/