Monday, October 22, 2007

3+1 ladies

Somebody pointed out the below picture on my home site. It was taken almost 30 years ago.

It is a perfect illustration of some of the things I talked about in the recent interview. It was taken with a small pocket camera (one of those which were as small as a 35mm camera could get, and fit in a breast pocket). And it was taken on a day when I was on an outing with my family.

There's no way of knowing beforehand that you will come across a picture like this. It only happens in walk-around photography. Or Street Photography as it is sometimes called. Well, it's synonymous at least.

And when I didn't see any subjects, or family demanded attention, I just put the camera in my pocket and forgot about it for a while. And yet it made exhibition-quality images if used right. Gotta love it.


We have digital cameras which are almost there. Only point is the autofocus has to get faster, I hope they fix this soon. (Actually, they should make them with manual focus or even fixed focus, because with the small sensors, depth of field is so great that focus hardly matters. The aforementioned camera had manual focus and that was totally useable despite having less DoF than small digital cameras.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I've commented on this photo before but it's one of your best, I think. Fantastically calm and yet emotional at the same time.

I like your earlier work and later work for different reasons. I find your earlier pics to be more emotional. Your later work I find more inventive.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what I don't like here, though, is the title "3+1 ladies" ... yuck! :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Hmm, well. The title was made by a 16-year-old Eolake. I thought it was very clever. :)
Mind you, this was before it became mainstream (and overdone) to combine numbers and word in titles.

Thanks for the other comments.

I thought about today how I have no idea where I'm going with pictures, if anywhere.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"3+1 ladies"?

I've seen dumber titles, believe me. Lots of them. :-)))

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you very much. I did not think it is that bad. Only I have wondered why almost everybody tends to call it "Three Ladies".

Anonymous said...

Eolake said: "Only I have wondered why almost everybody tends to call it "Three Ladies".

There you have it. "Three Ladies" would have been an excellent title! :-)

Think about it.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Sounds like a Victorian Novel. (And not of the kinky kind.) :)

Anonymous said...

Tastes can be so different.
"3 + 1 ladies", in my eyes, is the only appropriate title for this image. It underlines the tension between the sitting 3 ladies and the one walking by.
I like the photograph.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Merci Monsieur.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"Sounds like a Victorian Novel. (And not of the kinky kind.) :)"

"Lost Girls" didn't sound like a kinky title either...