Thursday, April 26, 2007

Nanny McPhee


When we were talking about Emma Thompson, I decided to rent Nanny McPhee. I had earlier eschewed it, because it seemed too much like a childrens movie, and like nothing new. But seeing Emma made it, and her sincerity about it, I gave it a go. And I was not disappointed, it is a delightful movie. It is full of talent, great cast, and beautiful to look at.

I was astounded: the Browns in the film live in a great, huge old mansion, and next to a whole little village. And get this: this was all built from scratch! The village, the house, the vegetation, none of it was there.

Funny tidbit from the commentary track: Emma was dressed and made up as Nanny McPhee, who has a huge nose and warts, and some firemen come to the set. And Emma tells how she was "flirting outrageously" with the handsome firemen, but then she realized belatedly that she was wearing the make-up and looking like that she would never get any attention. She was past the point where she even noticed that she was wearing that spectacular make-up, and so was the others on the set.

Does Emma Thompson really need to flirt to get attention? (I mean when she does not wear warts.)

I never notice when anybody is flirting. Does nobody ever do it with me, or am I just missing the gene for noticing it?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Does Emma Thompson really need to flirt to get attention? (I mean when she does not wear warts.)"

Haha! Yes, the warts WILL get you attention, but not the kind you wish for.
I think even Emma Thompson would flirt without thinking twice about it, if in the presence of some self-unaware glamourous hunk like a brave young fireman, mith muscles rippling under this soldier of peace uniform, and all the... Okay, I'll stop there! You get my point.

Unless, of course...

"I never notice when anybody is flirting. Does nobody ever do it with me, or am I just missing the gene for noticing it?"

As much as I'd love to tell you that photographing naked beauties for a job is totally uncool and not-sexy, (it would be a lie, but I'd love to say it!) I have to break the bad news to you : you ARE a mutant circus freak indeed. You're missing the same fundamental gene I am.
But then, this ensures that once you get really fond of somebody, it will be based on more than just a flirting mood or kinky impulse.

Anonymous said...

you ARE a mutant circus freak indeed.

i kinda feel like i am that. i guess they have brothels for ugly people like myself lol.
ah well, not everbody can look like Peter Strauss or Robert Redford.

Anonymous said...

Nanny McPhee? Oh, what does Nanny McPhee know?

Steve said...

I don't notice flirting either, especially if the flirting is directed at me. If it happens at all.

Hannah said...

I loved Nanny McPhee - plus Emma Thompson is absolutely wonderful. :)

Ok.. what's the difference between teasing/playing and flirting? I've always been told that I flirt a lot, but I think it's really playing...

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
Like all fun or pleasant stuff, flirting is too important not to take it very seriously.

Steve,
I wonder what would be worse: that you not notice flirting because you don't "see" it, or because it's never happening in the first place. ;-)

Anonymous said...

To tell the truth, I DID get flirted once. And very explicitly. But I was in training in a psychiatric hospital, she was older than my own mother, and had very bad make-up.
Maybe, ethically, I shoud've consented to letting myself be raped. After all she WAS admitting herself for a depression, and having a taste of me would probably have made her feel way better. :-)
But I was worried the nuns working in the place might disapprove of my therapeutic approach.

Okay, okay, I admit, this is all bogus! The only reason I didn't go along was because I freaked, okay? I didn't want to reconsider the very satisfactory resolution of my Oedipean complex.
Besides, her very heavy make-up was just too ugly! You don't know the desperate spinsters in this part of the world.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Well, if we count those kinds of things... remember Karen? She was older than my *grandmother*.

Funny, I have found that women who show open appreciation are almost always way too young or way too old. I think that women between 18 and 50 consider they have to be careful. Maybe they do.

Anonymous said...

Eolake said...
remember Karen? She was older than my *grandmother*.


What about Nanny McPhee? Is she interesting to flirt with? :-)

"Oh, dahling, you set my soul on fire!" -- (Tom, flirting cat, even when the dog's around)