Thursday, December 14, 2006

Windows Vista wins warm welcome, uh, verily

David Pogue writes:
Windows Vista is not, as the Web’s chorus of caustic critics claim, [woa, can you say "alliteration"? - Eolake] little more than a warmed-over Windows XP. Its more intelligent navigation and more powerful file-manipulation tools provide you with greater efficiency from Day 1.
That’s not to say, however, that Vista is worth standing in line for on Jan. 30. Moving to Vista means hunting for updated drivers for your printer, audio card and so on, not to mention troubleshooting incompatible programs.

... Hunting for updated drivers? Is he serious? I've use a Mac for twelve years now, and I don't think I've ever had to hunt for new drivers just because I updated the system. And I can't remember the last time I had to update software because of the system. (Except for changing between the old OS and OS X a few years back.)

Update: Lucid referred to this comic.

6 comments:

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"Aside from that, I've heard Windows Vista is a resource hog. Some people who've used it apparently recommend that you have 2 gigs of RAM and a mid to high-end video card just so you can run the OS properly."

To be fair, that part is true of Mac OS X also. But it's fun to use.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...
I have a very satisfying -if a little slow- scanner, since my old Win98 PC. No way to use it with my XP machine : incompatible with the new OS, no drivers available! ):-P

Is it just me, or is somebody treating the customers like cash cows? Moo!

Hannah said...

I'm running Vista. Haven't had to find any new drivers. It claims it's not compatible with the virus scanner but that seems to be working just fine...

Monsieur Beep! said...

I'm still running Windows ME, which is sufficient for the surfing that I do, online banking, and viewing Eolake's blog.
Why should I switch to XP or Vista? Never disturb a running system.

I needn't have to have Vista if I don't want it. There's also Linux available on the market, I'm the customer, it's up to me to decide which OS I have.
Credit goes to Bill for having set up a standard for running computer software in the 1980's, but that doesn't mean he's going to reign our computers for ever.

Monsieur Beep! said...

I've been running Me for almost 7 years now. It does have its flaws, I agree, or does it?
Apart from the fact that it rarely shuts down correctly, it runs quite smoothly.
In case of any problems occurring I'd use my three adware/malware search and destroy programmes and my antivirus, and the firewall's always on. Without a firewall I'd indeed feel very "naked".
The restore feature is deactivated, it seemed to have been the cause of a few crashes.

Yes XP is a wonderful OS, I even have a CD-ROM with a copy of it, but why should I put my running system at risk.
Of course, XP or Linux will be the choice when I get a new computer.

Anonymous said...

Without a firewall I'd indeed feel very "naked".

Yes, sometimes this feeling can be quite unpleasant.
Because life's not always a beach. And not all of those are clothing-optional, too. ;-)