Sunday, December 10, 2006

Chaos/Order

-----
Note: when I was a young innocent amateur photographer, I was very enamoured with wide-angle lenses, especially super-wide. I think it was because of the dramatic effect. Now I find to my surprise that when working with my super-zoom, I take most of the pictures at the long end. (Very long too, 300mm equivalent. It would be very hard to take handheld pictures with it was it not for the built-in image stabilization.) I find that this can give tight, orderly compositions, and at the same time see things that we just don't notice in normal life because they are too far away, and we are distracted by all the near things.
(Looking at this picture now, I am amazed to realize that the far buildings here are so far away from where I was standing that it would take me like five minutes to walk there.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, this one needs no explaining.
It's all so clear: in the order of Nature, represented by the tree branches, Man, which is symbolized by the rigid buildings, always brings his chaos, vertical lines and right angles! But there is also the redeeming detail of the eye of the paparazzi, disturbing Man's system of chaos, therefore restoring Nature's order.

Or something.

Anonymous said...

the difference i see are the buildings. the one on the left is newly constructed and the middle one looks like a ghetto crack house.
nuff said brothers.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't know, yo.
I've never been in a newly constructed building, know what I'm sayin'?