Tuesday, August 22, 2006

More nice products

I am replacing my blender and my juicer. The new ones look nice and make me feel good, and probably they will also work nicer than those I had.

Since making it to "comfortable" in my middle age, I have made it a habit of going for quality items with whatever I buy. They last a lot longer and give much more pleasure.

When I bought my juicer and blender though, I was new in the UK, and I just went accross the road to the omnipresent Curry's store and bought the best I could find.
In Denmark when you buy stuff, you get pretty good stuff. I was not aware that in the UK if you just do that, you get... well, crap. It doesn't work well and falls apart. After buying three fax machines in Currys, I don't shop there anymore, and since I don't have a car (I work from home), I suddenly realized that there is very little I can't buy online. So, bimbo, I just go to Amazon UK and read a few reviews.

8 comments:

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"make sure that the product does only what I want it to do, and doesn't have millions of bells and whistles which I don't want."

Yes. I love quality products like that. Like the Nisus Writer Express app for Macintosh.

Andy said...

Love the blog,Which part of Lancashire do you live in? I am from Oldham

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Near Bolton.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

One question though : if you are quite pleased with what you already have, why pay more for better?
I once tried an electrical toothbrush for some time (a good brand). I disliked the feeling, and the principle. Felt like I brushed more satisfyingly by hand.
Progress is fine, provided it remains a choice. The Amish, who live without technology, make a free lifestyle choice. But the Amish children don't...
I think that, once more, I'm starting a forest-fire debate that strays from the original post's idea. But in the end, it's often enriching. And the blogmeister has yet to complain! ;-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I've now amended the sentence near the start, if it seemed like I was satisfied with the old ones.

The pulsar is used like a regular toothbrush, but the handle and the head is much better, and the pulses add something.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the ego (although mine feels rather content). But I believe we are talking about the human consumer here. Granted, it remains to be proven these are not one and the same

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Huh???

Anonymous said...

Haven't you heard that old advertizing principle : "Aim for the ego"? ;-)