Thursday, September 08, 2005

William Gibson

I have not have the patience to read much fiction for a while, but I just started re-reading William Gibson's "Pattern Recognition". Damn, nobody writes like Gibson. Every sentence is a little work of poetry, and yet somehow they all line up and tell a story. Warmly recommended.

One reason I love SF more than what academics normally consider fine literature, is that not only does it not fear technology, but also it usually has highly capable characters. Whereas "fine literature" usually has characters who accomplishes nothing except to polish their neuroses.

Actually Pattern Recogntion is not even SF, but it feels like it.

... Another reason I love Gibson: He has apparently approximately the same priorities as I have myself. There is very little romance or sex in his stories. But a lot of art and creation. Several of his books have at their core a trek to find an important artist. Visuals and designs and aesthetics in general are very important too. I really like that.

1 comment:

Zeppellina said...

I love SF too, I think it is quite sad that it doesn`t always get the literary repect it deserves.
Artistic snobbery as always.

One of my favourite authors is Kurt Vonnegut.