Sunday, July 28, 2013

Apropos. Big band music

It's funny: I'm sure that many fans of big band music find rock music to be loud and pushy. But I like rock, even very hard rock, and I find big band music to be loud and pushy!

Heck, it doesn't really have to be a very big band. Just a brass band. Like the one David Letterman has. I once was at an event where they had a band like that. They didn't even have any amplification, I think, but man, were they LOUD. I just had to leave.

I was reminded of this because a friend is a fan of it and sent me the song below. I listened to the nice melody and the subtle trumpet playing, and thought this is nice, can't believe I'm saying about a big band piece. ... And then! at 1.15: Noise! All the brass and drums come into play at once to traumatize us into submission.

To those who like it: good for you, and blessings.




Update:
Bert said:

Just stumbled on this news bit:
"stroke patient developed a rare neurological condition that leaves him lifted to ecstasy by the sound of brass instruments"
Looks like anything can happen in this world. Read the whole story here.

7 comments:

Bert said...

Just stumbled on this news bit:

"stroke patient developed a rare neurological condition that leaves him lifted to ecstasy by the sound of brass instruments"

Looks like anything can happen in this world. Read the whole story here.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

The world is weird. My mom said that when she was very young, she could tickle her va-jayjay by pressing her nose!

(Please, only three jokes per commenter!)

Dave Nielsen said...

And then! at 1.15: Noise! All the brass and drums come into play at once to traumatize us into submission.

After this I was expecting something pretty big but it was very tame. I don't know how you could say you like hard rock but find this to be noise traumatizing us into submission.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I don't know, that's just how it seems to me, it really strokes me the wrong way.

Dave Nielsen said...

I don't particularly like it but it's not that harsh to me. I suppose if you'd been born earlier you would have been into big band and would have found rock to be just noise.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, there is much evidence that what one is exposed to much in one's forming years, stays with one strongly for the rest of the life. It is sad, really.

Anonymous said...

It's probably necessary. Otherwise we'd just be into whatever the next popular thing is, and we'd never reflect on the past. It would be nice if the qualities of the young mind could return again, though, at least for a while, give way to the adult, and so on.