Wednesday, May 15, 2013

More from Sony RX100

Congratulations to TCGirl for getting the Sony RX100!
This tiny camera continues to be one of my favorites. It's a real pocketcamera, breast-pocket-sized, but the speed and the quality, and the low-light results do not look like it. It's a dang good camera, not just a dang good compact-camera.
This is an indoor hand-held shot from it. What amazing quality.
If it would have been me, I'd have used auto-ISO or maybe ISO 800, but despite the low setting which gave a 1/10th second shutter speed, the anti-shake of the camera coped with it perfectly.
(Here's a full-sized file, direct from camera.)


The camera is priced according to the quality, about $650... you can get a very good compact for half that. But I consider it worth it.
Two of the "secrets" to its performance are the fast lens, and the large sensor, the largest in a camera of that size. It's even larger than the sensor in the Fuji X10, which has a considerably larger body.

It looks bigger here, "folded out", when "folded in" it's a true pocket camera, hardly bigger than the Canon S100, just a bit thicker.

10 comments:

John Krumm said...

Looks like a good one for a size/quality compromise. I hope Olympus comes out with their own version using this sensor with a better lens...might have to get that.

Dave Nielsen said...

Ah, North by Northwest, the Captain Sig Hansen classic.

TC [Girl] said...

That's her "Lover!" ;-) (she's 91, BTW...)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

She likes big books. And big cats!

TC [Girl] said...

All I am going to add to that, is this! Sorry...couldn't help myself; it BEGGED to be written! lol! ;-) (and, come on; tell me you weren't thinking and implying something along the same lines!) lol!

emptyspaces said...

And you can bounce the flash! The RX100 is awesome.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

ES, I hadn't even noticed that, thanks. That's very useful in some situations.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

thank gawd for digital immediate feedback. As a teen I once shot a whole celebration with bounced flash. Hadn't counted on the hight ceiling, it was all underexposed, barely usable.

TC [Girl] said...

Yes, thank you emptyspaces; I had not discovered that, yet. I have a LOT to learn about and from this camera. :-)

Anonymous said...

actually, I don't find the image quality so fantastic. Perhaps that is because the ooc jpg are not the best?

So I would also like to see an Olympus version (like John Krumm).

As alternative suggestion, I can highly recommend to get a used Olympus E-PL2 with the 19mm Sigma prime - this really runs circles around the Sony. And it costs only very littel (250 EUR for me with a new Sigma lens).