Monday, May 21, 2012

M4/3 pro zoom

I think this is the first pro quality zoom for Micro Four Thirds. This Panasonic lens has the same zoom range and max F-stop as the lenses which are popular, but expensive flag-ship models for full frame cameras, 12-35mm F:2.8, equivalent to 24-70mm F:2.8 in full frame.  It's not quite as expensive as the Nikon or Canon equivalents, but it's not exactly cheap either, apparently 1200 Euros. But that's what one might expect for a weather-sealed top-flight lens.
Below is the rather handsome lens on the right, compared in size to an equivalent full frame lens.


My own reservation is that the zoom range simply is too short to really matter much. But longer zoom ranges makes for more compromises in quality or weight/size or price. But it depends on use. Unless it's for architectural photography or for critical large prints, I'm very happy with my Panasonic 14-140mm lens, it has not presented any glaring flaws in my use (unlike others I have tried which always had soft corners somewhere in the range), and that is one heck of a useful zoom range. (This lens has also tested better than the Canon and Nikon equivalents.)


3 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

I'm very happy with my Panasonic 14-140mm lens, it has not presented any glaring flaws in my use (unlike others I have tried which always had soft corners somewhere in the range), and that is one heck of a useful zoom range. (This lens has also tested better than the Canon and Nikon equivalents.)

Shooot! Had I known, then, what you state here! :-(

Bruce said...

"My own reservation is that the zoom range simply is too short to really matter much. ... I'm very happy with my Panasonic 14-140mm lens..."

That's good to hear. I agree that the usual 28-80mm equivalent that you see on most removable lens cameras is not very appealing.

Nikon has an 18-105 lens that a lot of people say good things about. That works out to 27-157mm equivalent on their DSLRs. That range would be much more appealing to me. It's always a tradeoff between range and weight/bulk of the lens though.

Unknown said...

My Pentax DA*16-50 is 24-75mm EQ so this new Panny is about the same. I'm ok with that. What I hope Panasonic will do is provide some overlap between this and the next zoom. Pentax is 16-50 and then 50-135 and I often find myself with the shorter zoom wanting a 60 or the longer zoom and wanting a 40.

So please Panasonic, make the next zoom start at 35mm. I'll buy both in a heartbeat!


p.s. I've been pleasantly surprised by the 14-140 too. Wish it were faster though