Thursday, March 22, 2012

Vancouver mountains

Our reader Ray yesterday took this spectacular panorama of Vancouver mountains close to where he live. It was taken with a Pentax 70 super-zoom camera at longest setting (24x no less, that's almost impossible to do without a tripod), and stiched together with Image Composite Editor.
If you want the full-sized file it is here. (You can click on the picture too, but Blogger will not post pictures larger than 1600 pixels, which is tough on panoramas.)


Warning: I made two halves of the big version and put them on my twin monitors as wallpaper, and soon after my Mac crashed. This is rare, and even more rare, almost unheard of, is that it wouldn't start properly after that. I tried a few things, and after starting from a different hard disk, I removed the two pictures I had as wallpaper. (I got suspicious because of the timing and because it froze right after loading the wallpaper.)  And then it started properly again. I've never encountered anything like that before. And it's hardly likely to have anything to do with the original file, since I had saved it as two different and separate JPGs. But still, to be safe, maybe you shouldn't use it as wallpaper...
(Of course if anybody can explain how a JPG (made by Save As in Photoshop) can prevent a computer from booting, I'm all ears.

2 comments:

CalgaryMark said...

Sorry, Eo, it is quite simple. Those poor California-sourced Macs were overwhelmed by the sheer natural beauty of the Canadian Vancouver mountains and succumbed to the effect. It is otherwise known as the DOMAI syndrome . . .

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ray's still alive? That mofo just won't die!