Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bar side wall at night

(Clickable) 

Fuji X10. Taken around midnight hand-held, just one street light, quite dark. I'm a bit amazed I got detail in the black-painted door and window. In fact I could have lifted the detail up quite a bit more in Photoshop, but then I lost much of the "midnight feel" of it, so I gave that up. 

I think it has a peculiar atmosphere to it, the formality of the composition gives a strength to the spooky, scruffy, lonely street/house. It has life to it, the building is being used every day, but it's a sort of twisted, neglected life. Or at least it seems to to an immigrant from Denmark, where you have to go very far to the edge of things to find any buildings in this kind of bad repair. Here in Northern UK they are everywhere. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo! I just bought an x10 and hope to take good night shots. Did you make adjustments to anything, or was it purely on automatic mode?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I think I had it set on EXR and automatic. It delivers really good photos in the majority of tough lighting sits like this.

EXR is a special tech made possible by the unusual arrangement of pixels on the sensor, where the camera can combine two pixels, thereby halving the resolution from 12 to 6 megapixels, but about doubling the sensitivity. It also sometimes uses it to extend dynamic range, sometimes it takes three shots fast and combines them.

Find more night shots by searching x10 in the upper left search field.